Vacuum Cleaners hazardous to DSLRs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkertR

"...do not use a vacuum for the inside of your camera as it generates a lot of static electricity that can damage the internal components of your camera. If you need to use a vacuum to clean the inside of your camera, use a portable battery powered vacuum designed to do this job."

Ok, this has been paraphrased cos i can't find the website i found it on :) just warning!!! dunno how true is but it's still scary :S

I'm not very sure abt u guys, but I dun think anyone would have the guts to try such a stunt on his $1.7K++++ investment.

Its a lotta money involved to use ur vaccum cleaner to suck the innards ya noe? :eek:

aaaa......:embrass: ...I have actually done it a couple of times.....so far so good on my D70. btw, I was using a big vacuum also...really effective on difficult dust.

Sjourn said:
aaaa......:embrass: ...I have actually done it a couple of times.....so far so good on my D70. btw, I was using a big vacuum also...really effective on difficult dust.
:eek: :eek:

BARIS! HORMAT SENJATA!
*plays fanfare*
*Fighter planes roar overhead*

jsbn said:

BARIS! HORMAT SENJATA!
*plays fanfare*
:bsmilie: exaggerated la.

jsbn said:

BARIS! HORMAT SENJATA!
*plays fanfare*

LOL:bsmilie: :bsmilie: ....in a proverb:"if old one don't go, how new one come....?"

C'mon guys, time to give your cams a good suck (don't think otherwise) with your vacuums....:devil:

Sjourn said:

ah ha!! now I know!! when you want to off load your stuff I know which one to stay far far away from:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Sjourn said:

Halfmoon make mental note not to buy D 70 from the forum by Sjourn....

Maybe try those car vacuum is better idea right???? ;)

I knew of a professional photog that use a vacum cleaner on his 1D MKIIs :D At first I go like wow how come I never think of that. Then I go is it safe? Guess not :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Actually like sjourn , gave a vaccum treatment for my cam when got dust in CCD , turns out fine leh .

Pooh's Vaccum treatment cum spa package, only SGD$9.90 , the only spa , your camera will need. haha :bsmilie:

poohbear said:
Pooh's Vaccum treatment cum spa package, only SGD$9.90 , the only spa , your camera will need. haha :bsmilie:

Okok give me a Pooh's DSLR spa treatment, got volcanic mud or not? my dslr's body can use some cleaning :D:D:bsmilie:

See....I'm not alone in this...Pooh, want to go into business making special cam vacuums anot? heehee.

normally static is a charge stored e.g if a person walking over carpet barefooted will be acculmulating charge and if touches a metal object will release the charge. Best way to discharge before handling electronics is just to hold a metal casing like computer casing.

My cam is still in tip top cond, so when u see in b/s: "D70, spa treated, dustless":bsmilie:

singscott said:
I knew of a professional photog that use a vacum cleaner on his 1D MKIIs :D At first I go like wow how come I never think of that. Then I go is it safe? Guess not :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Oh gosh... Another one dat deserves Attention at Arms. :bigeyes:

wun the vacuum suck out the spoonge and stuff around the mirror box and mirror mechanism with all the spring and stuff.. :think: i think i better not try.. ;p i can live with a bit of dust inside

U don't shove the whole tube inside la....Leave about 2 inch away from the opening so the suction not too strong....and it's just a 10 sec thing. ;)

poohbear said:
Actually like sjourn , gave a vaccum treatment for my cam when got dust in CCD , turns out fine leh .

Har??? Camera SPA???? Got aroma one or not??? hahaa...... :bsmilie:

ParkertR said:
"...do not use a vacuum for the inside of your camera as it generates a lot of static electricity that can damage the internal components of your camera. If you need to use a vacuum to clean the inside of your camera, use a portable battery powered vacuum designed to do this job."

Ok, this has been paraphrased cos i can't find the website i found it on :) just warning!!! dunno how true is but it's still scary :S

They are also hazardous to pet rodents and pet giant hissing roaches.

yanyewkay said:
wun the vacuum suck out the spoonge and stuff around the mirror box and mirror mechanism with all the spring and stuff.. :think: i think i better not try.. ;p i can live with a bit of dust inside

If I use my vacuum cleaner, it will prolly suck out the mirror too! :bigeyes:

So better don't try!

Tried it before. Switched to low power and don't put the nozzle too close to the inside. I don't see any static electricity. Anyway teh hose is all plastic so how to get electricity?

Status
Not open for further replies.