Vacuum cleaner to clean your camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lubber Duckie

Sep 2, 2006
Tampines
Before I try this, has anyone of you tried cleaning your entire camera including interior e.g. sensor, using a vacuum cleaner?
I did a search, can't find any post of cleaning camera with a vacuum cleaner.
It seems like a very good idea to me, but it might be abit too strong for the camera to handle, e.g. sensor kana sucked in as well.

Experience, anyone?

washing machine anyone?

same logic..

well have you tried???

Some pple have tried before, I did too... and frankly speaking it worked very well... but nonetheless there's still some risk involved...

i did not used a vaccumm but tried the opposite. i used an industrial compressor. did not worked well, ended up with more dust.

i did not used a vaccumm but tried the opposite. i used an industrial compressor. did not worked well, ended up with more dust.
I think compressor blows air as well as surrounding dust into it.

Anyway, I tried it just now too.
It worked!
I tried it with brush attachment first, to clean the exterior and lens barrel, but made sure the brush was clean before trying. Looks like new now.
Then removed brush and went ahead to suck the interior, but didn't went too near into it, just in case some mechanism or screw get sucked in as well.
Don't know how clean it is inside after sucking, but outside works very well.

i have tried it. u can attach a straw (mcdonalds) to the head of your vacuum cleaner by using tape to increase the suction power. just skim the surface without touching the surface. should pick up most of the dust.

washing machine anyone?

same logic..

I don't see how it's the same logic. I think that question is a very reasonable question.

Besides, if the sucking power for a household vacuum cleaner is too strong, then what about those USB ones used to suck dust from keyboards? Haha! Probably gentler right?

Don't ask me to try coz I got no dSLR... but I might when I eventually get one... many years later... =)

I don't see how it's the same logic. I think that question is a very reasonable question.

Besides, if the sucking power for a household vacuum cleaner is too strong, then what about those USB ones used to suck dust from keyboards? Haha! Probably gentler right?

Don't ask me to try coz I got no dSLR... but I might when I eventually get one... many years later... =)
Agree with you karnage. :)
A perfectly legitimate question which may benefit all of us. Why spend $$ buying sensor swabs when most of us already have a vacuum cleaner @ home. :)

Probably case of the clueless (+evenstar) trying to lead others deeper into the abyss.

Hmm, haha. now, you've piqued me into finding one small USB one. :p

A perfectly legitimate question which may benefit all of us. Why spend $$ buying sensor swabs when most of us already have a vacuum cleaner @ home. :)

Probably case of the clueless (+evenstar) trying to lead others deeper into the abyss.

the usb one is way too weak. it can only remove those non-stubborn kind of dust, which would result in the same effect as a blower.

btw, will vaccumming it introduce more dust inside? i have this insecure feeling that when you suck air from inside, the surrounding dusty air will come in, creating more dust spots.

I think attracting dust in would be more difficult as it sucks instead of blows.
Perhaps cleaning in an air-con or less windy room would lessen the chances of getting dust in.
In any case, do not go too close into the interior as the vacuum suction power might be too strong.
Try it, it's effective!
And wash the brush attachment before cleaning.

Myself:
- Using my home vacuum cleaner and with the vacuum pipe tied to a chair
- open end facing up and power on vacuum
- face down camera, remove lens and bring near vacuum, simultaneously use a blower to blow inside camera
- next, activate 'clean ccd' to mirror lock and repeat same process
Next is you will find all dust gone. 100% for me.

Oh yes, I vacuum my lens especially the rear end to keep it clean.

:think:
What can I say? D@mn clean, no dust! No problem!
So why worry so much?:bsmilie:

:thumbsup:

Myself:
- Using my home vacuum cleaner and with the vacuum pipe tied to a chair
- open end facing up and power on vacuum
- face down camera, remove lens and bring near vacuum, simultaneously use a blower to blow inside camera
- next, activate 'clean ccd' to mirror lock and repeat same process
Next is you will find all dust gone. 100% for me.

Oh yes, I vacuum my lens especially the rear end to keep it clean.

:think:
What can I say? D@mn clean, no dust! No problem!
So why worry so much?:bsmilie:

:thumbsup:

no need for cleaning services.... all DIY. haha!! :thumbsup:

Big risk you are taking.

For air compressor, there is a filter to filter off the oil and water. If the filter is choked, water and oil will get ejected together with the air, from the air gun. Also, the high pressure from the air compressor can cause damages to some sensitive parts (e.g. sensor).

the usb one is way too weak. it can only remove those non-stubborn kind of dust, which would result in the same effect as a blower.

btw, will vaccumming it introduce more dust inside? i have this insecure feeling that when you suck air from inside, the surrounding dusty air will come in, creating more dust spots.

I wonder if those car vacumn cleaners will be stronger than, but not so strong as in the household AC type where you'd worry abt it damaging your camera.

if you believe in vacuum cleaners, go ahead and use it. :) nobody's stopping you

I tried it before, with the normal A/C kind.
It works really well, but be sure that you don't go into the interiors.
Something might just get sucked out. haha
The dust on the exterior just magically disappears! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.