UWA

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi guys,I am currently using the Canon 60D with the tamron 17-50mm lens.Now I am not sure whether should I get the Canon 10-20 or 22mm(sori,not veri sure) to add to my collection.By using a UWA lens on a crop body,will I be missing some details,etc...Or shd i go for prime lens eg.like the 24mm or even the 35mm?I am more into landscape kinda shot & sometimes wish I could cover all the views but I am still a noob la;anyway...Can the gurus pls kindly show mi the way...Kam Sia!

I assume that currently 17mm is not wide enough? If it's not wide enough, then why consider 24mm/35mm where it's even narrower than your 17mm.

UWA usually will lose out the micro details as it's too small to see... But if you talk about foreground objects using UWA, I don't see why it will be missing some details. Also, like your signature "Keep it simple...Less is More." Getting UWA and cramp everything in a shot (cover all the views) may also not be what you want, I suggest renting it out and see if you like it.

You need to read more and understand the gear and yourself more. Getting another lens or 10 more wont help.

Hi guys,I am currently using the Canon 60D with the tamron 17-50mm lens.Now I am not sure whether should I get the Canon 10-20 or 22mm(sori,not veri sure) to add to my collection.By using a UWA lens on a crop body,will I be missing some details,etc...Or shd i go for prime lens eg.like the 24mm or even the 35mm?I am more into landscape kinda shot & sometimes wish I could cover all the views but I am still a noob la;anyway...Can the gurus pls kindly show mi the way...Kam Sia!

Anyway, what is your 17-50mm limiting you? Was it not wide enough? And if it was not wide enough, you don't even have to consider 24mm and 35mm.

Oh... btw, 24mm on a crop sensor camera is actually not too wide, but that doesn't means you cannot take landscape shots... I survive on a 28mm for some time before getting a Tokina 12-24mm.

Alrite...Thanks bro for those kind words!

You can even take landscape shots with 70-200mm or even a 300mm. In the end, is to know what are you trying to achieve at that particular scene. there is no fixed focal length for certain genre of photography. You can shoot portrait with a UWA, you can also shoot landscape with a tele zoom.

Last edited:
alrite...thanx:devil:

TWmilkteaTW said:
You need to read more and understand the gear and yourself more. Getting another lens or 10 more wont help.

Actually, you gotta be able to use the lens too, which leads us to the chicken-or-egg issue.

Haha. But yes, your point is certainly valid. We can always be better by being well-informed.

Hi guys,I am currently using the Canon 60D with the tamron 17-50mm lens.Now I am not sure whether should I get the Canon 10-20 or 22mm(sori,not veri sure) to add to my collection.By using a UWA lens on a crop body,will I be missing some details,etc...Or shd i go for prime lens eg.like the 24mm or even the 35mm?
Please have a look at the plain numbers. You use 17-50mm, which gains do you expect from using a 24mm or 35mm prime lens? What would be the difference between a prime lens of 24mm and your current lens set to 24mm focal length? (Let's forget the aperture here, at f/8 for landscapes it's all the same.)
What you describe as 'missing out' sounds like a fundamental misunderstanding of 'crop factor'. Please read up what this means. To make it simple: your 17-50mm is also affected by it, all lenses used on your cams will have the crop factor. On the other hand, neither the Tamron 17-50 nor the Canon 10-22 can be used on full frame cameras. So what are you losing here..?