UWA Suggestions and Help

ex14dsilent

Apr 30, 2011
Hey guys, really looking at getting an UWA for my next lens and up until recently, I was dead certain about getting the fabled Tokina 11-16 f2.8...

Well that was until a friend of mine told me of his intention of getting the Sigma 8-16 f4.5-5.6 I was rather intruged cause 3mm really makes a whole lot of difference in a UWA (or at least that what I feel) and went to do the usual research on the Sigma as well as the Tokina. Research proved indecisive, so decided to ask the more experienced photographers, and people who have experience with either/both of these lens IRL. So yea, here goes nth >_<

1) I realise that the Sigma Benchmarks show it to be sharper than the Tokina. My question is, do the Camera sensor also play a part in affecting the benchmark values, as the Tokina, being a older lens was tested with older cameras such as the 350D and such, while the sigma was tested with slightly newer ones like the 50D.

2)Whats the local warrenty with Sigma and Tokina like? I heard from friend Sigma is 2.5 years, is that true?

3) Well would like any input on both lenses, what you like or didn;t like, be it bad copies, autofocus noise or issues, flaring and ghosting and so on. (Not really a distortion nut =/ I actually like em)

4)Do any of you tokina users use it at it's widest often/justifiably enough to warrant it having so?

I realise that most of these can be found on different review sites but After reading all of them I decided to go with some local opinion as there might be differences in environments and what nots.

AS for gear wise, I'm using a D90 ^^; so yea

WOULD APPRICIATE ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS/ANWSERS GIVEN! thanks once again ^o^

Last edited:
I realise that most of these can be found on different review sites but After reading all of them I decided to go with some local opinion as there might be differences in environments and what nots.

:dunno:

You really think that a lens characteristic will totally change just because you're in Singapore???

IQ wise no..... lens build, maybe, singapore is a typically high humidty/hot temp area so maybe some lens Build quality might change ._.? I wouldn;t know, I'm just assuming at this point (hence a newbie >_<)

I'm basically taking what I know for guitars and applying it somewhat to lens due to my lack of knowledge, if it doesn't I'll keep that in mind ._.

Last edited:
Hot expand cold shrink theorem :bigeyes:

maybe u think think this factors
do u want to use Square filter in the future ?
Do u need the speed ?
u willing to pay extra ?

Hi Joel..

I personally wont take sigma 8-16 because it does not have a front filter thread. Not sure if this is a concern to you but definitely a nono for me.

I myself own a sigma 10-20, the f4 variant. I choose this over the tokina because the range is wider, I do not need a f2.8 on my wide angle and the Sigma is better for my pocket. :D

However, the Sigma is known to be softer at the corners. This does not concern me as I don't compose my subjects at the extreme corners.

Hot expand cold shrink theorem :bigeyes:

maybe u think think this factors
do u want to use Square filter in the future ?
Do u need the speed ?
u willing to pay extra ?

LOL sorry lah noob, everything also scared.

I dun see myself using square filters (nor even know what and how to use them) so No for now?

Price wise the sigma and tokina is round the same price. so price wise non issue, tho if i were to consider other lenses like tha tone used by bro chiangkxv then yea, have to think more.

Hi Joel..

I personally wont take sigma 8-16 because it does not have a front filter thread. Not sure if this is a concern to you but definitely a nono for me.

I myself own a sigma 10-20, the f4 variant. I choose this over the tokina because the range is wider, I do not need a f2.8 on my wide angle and the Sigma is better for my pocket. :D

However, the Sigma is known to be softer at the corners. This does not concern me as I don't compose my subjects at the extreme corners.

Having a filter on it is of no concern to me (as mentioned above) and I think it is possible to mount filters, just more mahuan (or at least thats what i read)

Would like to ask if your sigma have any significant problems with focusing etc? I heard storries from a few ppl about sigma and their focusing >_<

Thanks guys for the replies >_<

LOL sorry lah noob, everything also scared.

I dun see myself using square filters (nor even know what and how to use them) so No for now?

Price wise the sigma and tokina is round the same price. so price wise non issue, tho if i were to consider other lenses like tha tone used by bro chiangkxv then yea, have to think more.

Having a filter on it is of no concern to me (as mentioned above) and I think it is possible to mount filters, just more mahuan (or at least thats what i read)

Would like to ask if your sigma have any significant problems with focusing etc? I heard storries from a few ppl about sigma and their focusing >_<

Thanks guys for the replies >_<

after 2 years of usage, no issues at all. :D

BTW, yes. you can mod a filter for the 8-16 but it is unusable at 8mm (severe vignetting). which make it kind of pointless.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=11278089 check post #139

And not being able to take screw in filters means no ND, CPL. which I feel is a huge limitation.