UWA - slim CPL necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cks2k2

Feb 12, 2009
On dpreview, when they reviewed Sigma's 10-20 lens they mention this: "Further good news is that normal 8mm-thick polarizers can be used perfectly happily without vignetting, and the slim-mount type is not required."
I was told the same thing by a salesperson @ CP: a normal CPL won't produce vignetting as long as I don't stack it on top of another filter i.e. UV. Is this true? FWIW I have a Canon EF-S 10-22.

It seems you might get a little vignetting at 10mm depending on what you buy, but yes if u stack the filters, mechanical vignetting can occur with wide angle lenses. Refer previous thread.

You can check before you buy the filter ?

The slim ones can minimise but may not eliminate, different brands different thickness.
My so called slim ND filter still manages to vignette on the 12mm end of my 12-24 :bsmilie:
Ryan

Both is correct. The major point to note is whether you are using a Full-Frame or Crop. I guess if you are using Crop, it does not matter as much.

Both is correct. The major point to note is whether you are using a Full-Frame or Crop. I guess if you are using Crop, it does not matter as much.

I dun quite get the full frame or crop. Are you referring to the sensor or cropping the vignetted areas away in the final picture? You can get mechanical vignetting on lenses irregardless of whether you are using a cropped sensor or a full frame sensor

Ryan

ohhhhhh

One point to note is that you might get uneven polarising when using CPL at ultra wide angles, some say it adds on to the picture, some say otherwise. So check if you like the effect before your purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.