UWA options for Pentax

machiavellian

Jan 25, 2007
Bedok Reservoir
mkvlln.posterous.com
Hi there,

I'm looking for a UWA lens. What are some UWA lens that are good value-for-money?
I only know of the Sigma 10-20. Any other UWA lenses compatible with the PK mount?

What I wanna use for this UWA is night photography. Long exposures. Aperture stepped down to probably f/11-22, depending on the location. What are your views?

There's the Pentax 12-24 too

There is 3 in my mind

1) Pentax DA 12-24mm
2) Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6
3) Sigma 8-16mm

All got their pro and con.

Of course there is also

4) Tamron 10-24mm
5) Sigma 10-20mm f3.5

if u dun need that wide can consider

6) Pentax DA 14mm
7) Pentax DA 15mm Ltd

till now I still haven't make up my mind which one to get too :(

There is 3 in my mind

1) Pentax DA 12-24mm
2) Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6
3) Sigma 8-16mm

All got their pro and con.

Of course there is also

4) Tamron 10-24mm
5) Sigma 10-20mm f3.5

if u dun need that wide can consider

6) Pentax DA 14mm
7) Pentax DA 15mm Ltd

till now I still haven't make up my mind which one to get too :(

From this list, I'd choose either (not in order of preference):

1. Sigma 10-20/4.5-5.6 : Already very wide at 10mm. Having a range from 10mm to 20mm is more versatile. UWA usually need to be stopped down anyway, so f4.5-5.6 is no big deal, and saves money over the faster Sigma. The cheapest UWA option if you source overseas.

2. Pentax 12-24 : Better build quality, slightly better optical quality. Smaller than the Sigma. 24mm on the long end can double as a walkabout lens in good light.

3. DA15ltd : Small, light, well built, unique for a UWA. Ease of including it in the bag due to the small size and weight. Very good optically. Does seem to be sharper than my Sigma 10-20mm. 15mm is typically wide enough.

The DA14, isn't too big (about the size of the 12-24). A viable option, and has a the option to be used at f2.8. Saw one in the Camera Workshop just now for just under $700 (2nd hand). ;)

From this list, I'd choose either (not in order of preference):

1. Sigma 10-20/4.5-5.6 : Already very wide at 10mm. Having a range from 10mm to 20mm is more versatile. UWA usually need to be stopped down anyway, so f4.5-5.6 is no big deal, and saves money over the faster Sigma. The cheapest UWA option if you source overseas.

2. Pentax 12-24 : Better build quality, slightly better optical quality. Smaller than the Sigma. 24mm on the long end can double as a walkabout lens in good light.

3. DA15ltd : Small, light, well built, unique for a UWA. Ease of including it in the bag due to the small size and weight. Very good optically. Does seem to be sharper than my Sigma 10-20mm. 15mm is typically wide enough.

The DA14, isn't too big (about the size of the 12-24). A viable option, and has a the option to be used at f2.8. Saw one in the Camera Workshop just now for just under $700 (2nd hand). ;)

mm, what's the price range for the above lenses uh?
the DA primes look good eh.

mm, what's the price range for the above lenses uh?
the DA primes look good eh.

i only noe the pentax 12-24 is about $11xx cause I have it..think sigma 10-20 is cheaper..

i will always push the sigma 10-20... nowadays i don't think you can get it grey, but it's a bargain at that price.

i will always push the sigma 10-20... nowadays i don't think you can get it grey, but it's a bargain at that price.

I am seriously consider either 10-20 vs 8-16 .

10-20 for the price (value for money) and can use filter

8-16 for the 8mm .... (always got this thinking in my mind , since wan to get, should just get the widest ) .... but then ... lack of filter really sianz leh

yes, if you can't use any nd filter or gnd filter, that is a big minus for me.

maybe can ask friends to get from HK, i'm not sure about the price there, but when i got mine in 2006? 2007? it was $600-$700 grey, that was sweet. :)

yes, if you can't use any nd filter or gnd filter, that is a big minus for me.

maybe can ask friends to get from HK, i'm not sure about the price there, but when i got mine in 2006? 2007? it was $600-$700 grey, that was sweet. :)

holy! That's cheap! Maybe I'll try my luck at HK! :)