UWA for travel

D-Wade

Dec 1, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
MOVED
>
>
>

Hello, will have a trip this weekend with my wife.
we usually with cam on a tripod and wireless remote we take photo of us and a landmark/view as background.

Usually I use my handy 17-50mm on my ever dependable D90.

But would like to experiment, just got ang UWA Lens 10-24.

anyone has tried this, any feedback or advise on our purpose?

Have read a lot of tips, i.e. don't put people at the corners, then the location of camera from ours will be close to us.

advises is appreciated.

*mod if I posted this on a wrong thread, please move accordingly, thanks.

Last edited:
I always bring along my tripod for holiday so my wife and I are always in the photos. I also have tried using UWA for take photos of us but it turn out ours photos make me and my wife look fat..

Maybe you can just try and see for yourself as you are using a digital and not firm where you cant view after taking photos.

Enjoy your trip..

just got mine, that's why no chance to try now.

aside from looking unnaturally fat, how about the background?

u can try to use it at home 1st....
u have to use min FL *1.4 to reduce the distortion...(hard to ignore it..hehehe)
so, for your lens, it might be 14-15mm...

Hello, will have a trip this weekend with my wife.
we usually with cam on a tripod and wireless remote we take photo of us and a landmark/view as background.

Usually I use my handy 17-50mm on my ever dependable D90.

But would like to experiment, just got ang UWA Lens 10-24.

anyone has tried this, any feedback or advise on our purpose?

Have read a lot of tips, i.e. don't put people at the corners, then the location of camera from ours will be close to us.

advises is appreciated.

You just bought the 10-24?
at 10mm it is very w i d e :)

As is to be expected, the sides are 'stretched', so people will tend to look 'wider' at the sides... ;)
Should not be too bad though. As long as there is sufficient distance between camera and subject, should be ok.

When travelling with wife/girlfriend, it's best to bring another lens besides a wide angle one. Hazardous for health you know.

The UWA will be quite a solid add-on for scenery (if you really like scenery) and on certain cases, portraiture. but as mentioned, stay away from the corners for portraits, it's hazardous for your health & safety.

The other thing to take note for UWA is the keystone effect, which IMO, is more obvious in UWA as compared to 17-50. Try to keep the 10-22 parallel to the ground level to reduce/remove the keystone effect (unless the effect is as intended)..

try stand closer to middle so the distortion not as bad as corners. and dun place the camera too close.

this is my self took photo using tripod + 17-40 lens (but i didn't stand straight though haha) shot at 17mm:

46969_426846617522_688242522_4985749_8073293_n.jpg

Last edited:
if i were you.. ill bring along the 17-50 too.. its not that big and heavy anyway and who knows you might need the little extra reach.

i'll take both. i've used UWA, trying to shoot an event. its really challenging. if ur gonna do a lot of family photos and stuff when ur on the trip, drop the UWA

HEllo thanks, but for me I got no more prob on shooting @17, I'm curious right now on UWA with us IN the picture, esp the distortion involved hehee

But yeah, 12 -14 should be less distortion already.

Hello, it it unintentional to post similar thread, *mod please lock this thread, I have created a similar thread on newbie forum, coz I still consider myself a newbie heheh thanks
here's the link ->> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/990048-uwa-travel.html#post7521663

Bro, you might need this

view005.jpg

QuickPod-450x365.jpg

*Just kidding*

UWA is fun & challenging to use. But you will never had a regret if you were to bring your available lens out & not missed anything & said "I should have brought that lens along..."

yeah, I still planning to bring along my Tam 17-50.

yeah, avoid the corners, keystone effect, and not shoot too close to us, noted and thanks.

hope I can make it work, so next trip I don't need my 17-50 already hehe else bring 18-200 instead + UWA hehe

5997434047_5b8b6695f2.jpg

sigma 10-20mm... there is ur ans

I think if you are buying UWA to take portrait with scenery as background, there is no real need, with careful composition 17 mm is more than sufficient. But a UWA will be useful for many other things.

I think if you are buying UWA to take portrait with scenery as background, there is no real need, with careful composition 17 mm is more than sufficient. But a UWA will be useful for many other things.

don't get me wrong, but I didn't get this UWA for this purpose, just curious and want to learn from people that have tried it,
so esp this is usually our preference during our travel, so since technically UWA can cover alot, was thinking why not hehe

I'm comfortable with 17-50mm, so if it doensn't work out on UWA, no prob switching back to 17-50, will still bring though UWA for landscaping and architecture shots, which is where it is made for =)

Bro's any sample pictures using UWA on portraits with scenery?

Yes, UWA is perfect for self portrait/self group shot but keep in mind to put yourself/people within the centre of the frame.

With UWA you can do a top down "big headed dog" effect. Lots of ladies love that effect and I'm sure your wife will love it too. :)