UWA for Landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankenstein

Feb 3, 2009
I'm currently using a Tamron 17-50/f2.8 with an EOS450D. I shall soon be travelling to Europe and be exposed to the nice mountainous scenery with beautiful blue skys (I hope....). I've always wanted to get a UWA to complement the Tamron which I use as a walkabout lens (so please don't suggest changing/upgrading this).

I was looking at the Tokina 11-16/f2.8 as I've always like the standard focal length lenses.

The reason I'm asking is whether I could get a prime around the same price range S$1-1.2k which will be better suited for the landscape pictures I am hoping to capture.....may not go there again anytime soon hence happy to spend a few hundred more if necessary.

To prevent going off-topic, let's focus this thread on whether there are any primes which will take landscape better than the Tokina 11-16/f2.8 but cost n omore than 20-30% more (that will rule out most of the L-Primes).

Thanks in advance.

10-22 is best there is for efs uwa :D rented it loved the perspective feels like being drawn into the picture.

Thanks all.

Looks like it's down to the Tokina 11-16 vs. the Canon 10-22 where there is ample threads already.

Last question before closing this thread - I know the IQ for portraits using the Primes is unsurpassed but for landscape is the >$2k worth paying over the above 2 UWA zooms (i.e. Is the IQ of a prime for landscape twice as good that you pay a premium of >100%)

Thanks all.

Looks like it's down to the Tokina 11-16 vs. the Canon 10-22 where there is ample threads already.

Last question before closing this thread - I know the IQ for portraits using the Primes is unsurpassed but for landscape is the >$2k worth paying over the above 2 UWA zooms (i.e. Is the IQ of a prime for landscape twice as good that you pay a premium of >100%)

I would say it's unwarranted to pay so much for a WA prime. Just stick to the 10-22 or 11-16. It's not as if the image quality coming out from those lenses are dismal.

Check out Sigma's 12-24 too.

Personally, I find there's no justification for a wide angled prime, unless I have the cash to get the new TS-E 17mm

think the primes are a bit too ex compared to the zooms... and the cheap primes are kind of a let down.

Status
Not open for further replies.