UV or protective lens filters for digital cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackpot

Oct 15, 2005
clementi/ulu pandaan
Any experienced folks out there can comment on what UV or protective lens filters they are using on their digital cameras? Is there more haze/flare type by products from one type vs. another (relative to 35mm film cameras)? What would you reccomend for a basic all-purpose lens?

a normal uv filter will do for 'protective' purpose. no need for super ex$$ one.

i just use Hoya HMC filters. but it also depends on the price of my lenses. eg my 350D kit lens i just use a normal Hoya UV filter $12. my tamron 28-75 i use the HMC $30

thanks for that... any bad experience with flare/haze if you don't go multi-coated on digital vs. regular old fashioned photography, in your opinions?
upz!

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
i just use Hoya HMC filters. but it also depends on the price of my lenses. eg my 350D kit lens i just use a normal Hoya UV filter $12. my tamron 28-75 i use the HMC $30

Hi people, I just bought my 350D a month ago and currently only have the kit lense. Seems like everyone is buying filters to protect their lenses and to block out unwanted UV rays. I am thinking of getting some filters too but am not sure which kind to get.

I want to protect my lense so most probably I will be getting the UV filter. I also want to take pictures of bright blue skys and land. Heard using ND filter will prevent the sky from over exposure. Any suggestions on which filter to buy for taking these nice pictures with very nice blue sky with landscapes on the bottom?:sweat:

jimbok said:
I also want to take pictures of bright blue skys and land. Heard using ND filter will prevent the sky from over exposure. Any suggestions on which filter to buy for taking these nice pictures with very nice blue sky with landscapes on the bottom?:sweat:

You'll be looking at a Graduated ND filter then. They come in either gray or coloured (to change the colour of the sky). Don't buy the screw-on filter, get the square filters instead, then you can adjust the horizon line to suit your image. I don't recommend the cheap Cokin brand, but you can either use their filter holder for your own purpose, or just blue-tack the filter on.

Pls read: http://www.nelsontan.com/articles/filters.html

does anyone know how much a Konix 55mm UV filter costs? :dunno:

foxtwo said:
You'll be looking at a Graduated ND filter then. They come in either gray or coloured (to change the colour of the sky). Don't buy the screw-on filter, get the square filters instead, then you can adjust the horizon line to suit your image. I don't recommend the cheap Cokin brand, but you can either use their filter holder for your own purpose, or just blue-tack the filter on.

Pls read: http://www.nelsontan.com/articles/filters.html

Wow.. those filters look interesting. Seems like their the more budget kinds to get and can use with any lense (almost). Most of the well known shops (like MS Color, AP, John 3:16) sell these right?

jimbok said:
Wow.. those filters look interesting. Seems like their the more budget kinds to get and can use with any lense (almost). Most of the well known shops (like MS Color, AP, John 3:16) sell these right?

CP is a distributer for Cokin. Cokin is pretty popular (cheap), probably many other shops stock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.