UV filters on shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

limetouch

Oct 8, 2008
Boon Keng
flickr.com
I was at Macritchie the other day and the glare from the sun was real strong. It was difficult taking good photos without having to readjust the shutter speed, aperture and ISO every single moment I wanted to shoot. And most of the time, it would be overexposed.

A friend told me that it has to do with the UV filter that I had over my lens. Does a UV filter affect my image in this case?

I was at Macritchie the other day and the glare from the sun was real strong. It was difficult taking good photos without having to readjust the shutter speed, aperture and ISO every single moment I wanted to shoot. And most of the time, it would be overexposed.

A friend told me that it has to do with the UV filter that I had over my lens. Does a UV filter affect my image in this case?
UV filter protects lens if you are doing skyshots in direct line to the sun. If not, just take out lah. Underexpose the settings if conditions are overly bright otherwise take Raw and fix as best as you can in PP. If too dark still can fix but if whitewash then the data is gone for good.

A polariser might help. My friend uses one in such situatons

Tried playing around with a GND?

A GND filter can help. Alternatively you can work on processing multiple exposures.

Ryan

For tough exposure situations, turn on the AEB feature to take bracketed shots.

UV filters - yeah, take them out esp. if they are of so-so quality which perpetuates glare/flare.

Go HDR.

For tough exposure situations, turn on the AEB feature to take bracketed shots.

UV filters - yeah, take them out esp. if they are of so-so quality which perpetuates glare/flare.

Go HDR.

Up till now, I have not really tried bracketed shots, I should have a go now. To prevent flares, which would be better? A polarizer or GND filter?

Up till now, I have not really tried bracketed shots, I should have a go now. To prevent flares, which would be better? A polarizer or GND filter?

A polarizer (in particular a circular PL) has the added ability to cut down reflections and make skies bluer, grass greener, etc. I'd first invest in a CPL if I'm out shooting landscape most of the time. GND has the purpose of knocking down light on the overly bright areas, like the sky, hence even out the exposure range of the entire image.

Actually, I'm not so worried about flare. I love shooting into the sun during late afternoons/sunsets. When I shoot into the sun I'm aware of flare, but I'd normally use it to my benefit. I think it can make the image rather exciting and creative sometimes. I have one example here - no CPL, no UV, no filter. Also a few more on my Flickr.

Have fun shooting!

A polarizer (in particular a circular PL) has the added ability to cut down reflections and make skies bluer, grass greener, etc. I'd first invest in a CPL if I'm out shooting landscape most of the time. GND has the purpose of knocking down light on the overly bright areas, like the sky, hence even out the exposure range of the entire image.

Actually, I'm not so worried about flare. I love shooting into the sun during late afternoons/sunsets. When I shoot into the sun I'm aware of flare, but I'd normally use it to my benefit. I think it can make the image rather exciting and creative sometimes. I have one example here - no CPL, no UV, no filter. Also a few more on my Flickr.

Have fun shooting!

I second this. CPL is a must have if you do day sunlight shoot. Colour saturation:thumbsup:

To prevent flares, which would be better? A polarizer or GND filter?

No filter is best, all filters can cause additional flare. Here the quality of the filter makes the difference. The purpose of a GND is to adjust the brightness in the frame partially. Read up more about the purpose of filters, don't just put something on if you don't know purpose and effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.