UV filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
How impt is a UV filter? What is a filter for if there is other filter?

Where to find more info on them?

helo. A UV filter, by right is to filter out UV rays which film / CCD is more sensitive to. But another more common reason why we use them is to protect the actual lens. So we leave it on most of the time. UV filters don't cost much normally ... unless ure thinking 72mm and above, so get a multicoated one.

To get more info on filters
goto www.thkphoto.com and click hoya

Oh.. i see... Think i dun need it lah.. mine is A20. The lens can retarct and get rpotected... As for the "special effect" , I am using it as a "tourist" so think dun need as well.. thanks.

Originally posted by docile
helo. A UV filter, by right is to filter out UV rays which film / CCD is more sensitive to. But another more common reason why we use them is to protect the actual lens. So we leave it on most of the time. UV filters don't cost much normally ... unless ure thinking 72mm and above, so get a multicoated one.

To get more info on filters
goto www.thkphoto.com and click hoya

you mean must change from time to time one art ?

Originally posted by Blankies

you mean must change from time to time one art ?

Read up a bit... can change can can dun change depends on yours needs..
Think some filter can have those fancy effect like those wedding photos... :p

Originally posted by binbeto
How impt is a UV filter? What is a filter for if there is other filter?

Where to find more info on them?

The first filter I buy is UV. Use it for protective usage. It is VERY costly if you scratch/damage the lense of your original camera... so a UV is very important as it can protect your original lense and is relatively cheap to replace.

Originally posted by Klause

The first filter I buy is UV. Use it for protective usage. It is VERY costly if you scratch/damage the lense of your original camera... so a UV is very important as it can protect your original lense and is relatively cheap to replace.

Klause,

you're using C700UZ right? To add-on a UV filter, you need another setup ring or something like that cos' ur lense are retractable type, am I correct?

Originally posted by duckling

Klause,

you're using C700UZ right? To add-on a UV filter, you need another setup ring or something like that cos' ur lense are retractable type, am I correct?

Ya. Correct. =)

Originally posted by binbeto
Oh.. i see... Think i dun need it lah.. mine is A20. The lens can retarct and get rpotected...

:p The UV filter protects the lens when the camera is on and ready for shooting. Almost ALL cameras come with retractable lens or lens cap :p

KC...how much is the UV filiter for your qv2900?

I've got a Vitacon one (cost abt $10) and a Kenko multi-coated one which I got for $25.

Originally posted by mpenza

I've got a Vitacon one (cost abt $10) and a Kenko multi-coated one which I got for $25.

why you get 2?
which one is more worth for money and practical?

The Hoya 49mm mono-coat UV filter cost only abt $7.50....use it mainly to protect the lens....few hundred $$$ cheap DC no need buy those too ex ones lah!

There are of course better multi-coated ones out there that costs tens of $$$.

;)

why you get 2?
which one is more worth for money and practical?

one is enough. was convinced by the shop owner that the multi-coated one was much better so I got that one loh. it's just buying on impluse :p

Status
Not open for further replies.