UV filter with lens hood

DarkFly3r

Aug 25, 2008
Hi guys, will a UV filter do the same job as what lens hood does? Is it necessary to buy lens hood if i already have UV filter? Pardon me if this question has been asked. Thank you. :)

Hi guys, will a UV filter do the same job as what lens hood does? Is it necessary to buy lens hood if i already have UV filter? Pardon me if this question has been asked. Thank you. :)

Both do not do the exact same job, but both acts as a deterrent against damage. Lens hood provide against light rays entering str from the sides so as to prevent flare.

UV filter, basically just protects lens element from direct impact such as poking, scratching scarring etc lol. hope it helps

They both serve the purpose of protecting your front element, however, they are different. UV filters is a piece of glass in front of your front element, although it protects it, it also increase the chances of flaring. A lens hood helps to prevent flares, however, it does not form a protective layer over the front element.

Yea...get a UV filter and put on the lens hood if you want to be extra safe..(against knocks and drop) But by doing so dosent mean you will be 100% safe. Both actually has it own purpose..like many had mentioned. Necessary or not..really depends on you. Some pple like it UV and lens hood. While some just use a UV or a lens hood.

Thanks guys for your prompt replies. I always thought UV filter could block flares the same as what lens hood does. Silly me. :bsmilie:

Thanks guys for your prompt replies. I always thought UV filter could block flares the same as what lens hood does. Silly me. :bsmilie:

your signature made me had a good laugh! :bsmilie:

UV filter can be the one that protect ur lens, but it can also be the one that damage ur lens.
Ur lens can drop on the floor with the lens cap and nothing happen to it.

It can also drop with the UV Filter and lens cap, and the broken UV filter can scratch ur lens.
Best to get UV filter and hood.

Another use of UV filter is prevent dirt on your lens' glass. As over-cleaning can wear off the coating on your glass, with a UV filter, you can simply switch a filter instead of getting a whole new lens.

Another use of UV filter is prevent dirt on your lens' glass. As over-cleaning can wear off the coating on your glass, with a UV filter, you can simply switch a filter instead of getting a whole new lens.

Your glass sure has weak coatings... Or you use a too-strong cleaner...

2 schools of thought. One appreciates the protection, one goes for ultimate image quality. Pick your side.

Cleaning, yes - but gentle :) - There is no need to use any physical force or abrasive cleaning methods. The coating is strong enough for normal cleaning.

Your hood can also serve as a protection to your front element too though its main purpose is to prevent flaring from the sun.As for the filter itself it mainly serves as a protection to your lens,unless its those really high end kind like Marumi or those german made filters.These are the kind of filters will be able to make a difference but normally we just make do lor...Other than that,remember to hold on to your camera body & sometimes onto your lens also.Why?Because especially in really crowded places eg,Chinatown,there will be hordes of people around.& you do know that some people can just walk blindly & bang right into you.Just don't want to take the risk la.Cheers mate!

Last edited:
UV typically to protect the front of your $$$ lens while the hood is to prevent flare and increase contrast. Try take same object, one with the lens hood on while the other without the lens hood. You will be surprise by the difference...

Just my 2 cents...

If got hood, then forget about UV filter. Hood gives better protection.

saw a lady tripped over the stairs at KLCC with her camera lens hitting the floor first. Lens was safe, the hood wasn't...she was in tears...not sure if it was happy tears or sad from the fall.

saw a lady tripped over the stairs at KLCC with her camera lens hitting the floor first. Lens was safe, the hood wasn't...she was in tears...not sure if it was happy tears or sad from the fall.
Yep, that's how the softer lens hood catches the energy. With a UV filter the lens will be crap - the hit goes to the filter ring, from there directly to the lens front element and into the lens where zoom and focus system are waiting ... No soft material that could absorb the energy. A new lens hood costs far less than any lens repair.

UV filter can be the one that protect ur lens, but it can also be the one that damage ur lens.
Ur lens can drop on the floor with the lens cap and nothing happen to it.

It can also drop with the UV Filter and lens cap, and the broken UV filter can scratch ur lens.
Best to get UV filter and hood.

If you drop the lens so hard that the UV shatters... scratches on the front element will the last of your worries...

If got hood, then forget about UV filter. Hood gives better protection.

I think it is a personal thing.. especially if you shoot around lots of rain, water spray, sand/dust and champagne spray.

Last edited: