Uv filter - which brand???

nova-ex

Dec 6, 2007
I don't know whether i cleaned it too much and the coating wore off, but look at this!

scr.png
The flare with my UV filter is so obvious! My filter is tokina brand. what brand should i buy to avoid this!

Hoya is my choice...btw try to google the different types of filter brands and reviews from users.

Im using hoya multi-coated uv filters on both my 18-105 and tamron. Its easier to clean, no need to be so rough. I also have a tokina circular polarizer which costs about the same as the hoya uv filter ;) .

I don't know whether i cleaned it too much and the coating wore off, but look at this!
The flare with my UV filter is so obvious! My filter is tokina brand. what brand should i buy to avoid this!

Were both pictures taken with the same Tokina UV filter ? It depends on the angle of shooting, some angle could make the flare become even worst.

But there is a reason why people spend hundred bucks for B+W filter :)

I use Nikon NC and Hoya/Kenko Pro 1D.

Hoya hmc is good enough.

B+W for me.

Posting here again... so people can understand filter pricing and branding a little more...

ilters have cheap range, medium range and high end range. All depends on your budget but I would recommend you to get at least a medium range one.

Examples of some popular/well known/notorious brands/models:
very cheap range: Vitacon, Emolux, Steinzeiser
cheap range: tokina, Hoya uncoated, hoya both sides coated, Kenko standard, Marumi standard
Medium economy range: Hoya HMC, , Kenko MC, Marumi DHG,
Medium high range: Hoya Pro1D, Kenko Pro1D, Marumi Super DHG, Nikon NC
Hi end range: B+W MRC, Hoya HD, Kenko Zeta, Rodenstock, Heliopan

Filter brands are like cars:

Continental cars are expensive and generally perform very very well. Continental cars also have higher and lower models. eg. S-class, A-class.
Continental cars: B+W, Rodenstock, Heliopan, LEE, Schneider Optics

French cars are ok and reasonably priced but sometimes performance is not the best in certain situations.
French cars: Cokin

American cars quite a few are very good, but quite a number are lemons. Some are good but just not worth the money.
American cars: Tiffen, Singh Ray

Japanese cars: some are cheap and perform not so good but better than the ones listed below. medium priced ones are quite good and very reliable. some are top of the line (like Lexus, Infiniti, Acura) and perform very well, and some of those top of the line even exceed the performance of continental cars.
Japanese cars: Nikon, Canon, Hoya, Kenko, Marumi, Tokina

China cars: very cheap, usually copies of more expensive brands, quality depends on the specific car. Some are terrible. But if you find a good one, it will be good and worth many times the low price you pay for it.
China cars: Tianya

I will stay away from any other brands not mentioned here and the ones below.

Malaysia/Singapore cars: Brands are owned/founded locally in MY or SG. Usually most of the parts are OEM by other companies. Supposed to be very cheap. Salesman always try to tell you it is very good and give you the wrong impression that it is made in Germany or Japan. And will try to sell you at a much higher rip off price. Performance is just so so. Some are totally terrible. Some are not bad.
Malaysia/Singapore Cars: Steinzeiser, Vitacon, Emolux.

Last edited:
Posting this again here, hope it helps the newbies when buying filters.

Not all Hoya filters are made equal. Not all Hoya filters are priced equal. Not all Kenko filters are made equal. Not all Kenko filters are priced equal.

Know what you are buying.

Current models...

Hoya (from cheap to expensive):
Hoya both sides coated (single coating on each side)
Hoya HMC (Hoya Multicoated - basic multicoating)
Hoya SMC (discontinued?, Super Multicoated)
Hoya Pro1D (advanced multicoating optimized for digital)
Hoya HD (multicoated and hardened, scratch and oil resistant. around price levels of B+W MRC)

Kenko (from cheap to expensive):
Kenko standard filters (no coating),
Kenko MC (Basic Multicoated),
Kenko Pro1D (equivalent to Hoya Pro1D)
Kenko Zeta (equivalent to Hoya HD)

Carl Zeiss UV filter. ;)

Previously I used Hoya HMC and Tokina UV filters for my 18-105mm kit lens. Flares still can be easily seen.
Now I'm using Kenko Zeta and the flares gone most of the time*...no regret
Basically it's still the same rule: You get what you have paid for.
If you are perfectionist or very picky person, go get the Kenko Zeta, B+W or Hoya HD. You will enjoy every moment of photography.

*: Flare cannot be eliminated but can be highly reduced by high-end filter.

Is hood a good replacement of all this filter?

Is hood a good replacement of all this filter?

basically a hood and filter serve different purpose, hood will prevent flaring by limiting the light entering from other angles where a filter uv is used to protect the front element of your lens. imagine water splash, filter will do the job but hood wont!

Flare? Few days ago i was taking some shots and noticed flare. UV filter was on so try using my polarizer. Still got flare. Put on the hood. Still got flare. In the end used my hand slightly in front of the lens to 'shade' the lens. No flare.

Lesson learned: Sometimes its not the equipment, its just how you take the pic. ;p

Cheers!

Flare? Few days ago i was taking some shots and noticed flare. UV filter was on so try using my polarizer. Still got flare. Put on the hood. Still got flare. In the end used my hand slightly in front of the lens to 'shade' the lens. No flare.

Lesson learned: Sometimes its not the equipment, its just how you take the pic. ;p

Cheers!

What brand of UV filter you used? Did you try Kenko Zeta or Hoya HD? When I tried Kenko Zeta Protector at the shop, I purposely shot the light into the frame. No flare was seen in the picture.
Normally UV filters have flare issue, but not obvious for Kenko Zeta and Hoya HD.

What brand of UV filter you used? Did you try Kenko Zeta or Hoya HD? When I tried Kenko Zeta Protector at the shop, I purposely shot the light into the frame. No flare was seen in the picture.
Normally UV filters have flare issue, but not obvious for Kenko Zeta and Hoya HD.

I used a Hoya multi-coated UV filter. If what you said about the Hoya HD is true, i might consider getting it. How much does one costs though? I using 67mm filters.

A few weeks ago, was discussing about filters with a buddy. He did a comparison test with between Hoya HD UV filter and B + W UV filter and got the following result

Hoya HD filter is about 100 degrees cooler than the B W. If you shoot raw, not much of a problem. Some people may notice it with their naked eyes, some may not. Its up to personal perference between the 2.