• XENNEC Camera Bags GIVE AWAY - SHARE & TAG your Friend to WIN one XENNEC Stylish bags. Visit this thread thread for more information.

UV filter recommandation


Status
Not open for further replies.

wee_wei

New Member
Feb 19, 2006
68
0
0
#1
:D any recommandation of brand of uv filter which i can get?? going to purchase them for both my lens. and also, do i need any polarising filter? mostly, will take photo in the day..
 

OlyFlyer

Senior Member
Mar 22, 2006
2,161
0
0
#2
I have used Hoya the last 30 years or so. Even today I use Hoya HMC. There is a new, more expensive type but I have no experience on those. UV or Skylight, it is a question of taste. I found UV better because it does not change the color shading. I like deep blue skys, Skylight filter adds a bit too much yellow for my taste. I guess on digital cameras UV is more a front element protection than a filter. Not a big diff with or without filter in the tone.

Polarizing gives very nice effects, specially if you shoot near water or city landscapes with many windows because it removes a lot of reflection. You have to manually turn the filter to get the effect you want. Setting changes as lighting changes, so it needs time to get used to it. Definitly not a point and shoot filter. Beware, you have to get the circular type which is more expensive, otherways you will have problems with autofocus. The linear type is only for film cameras. Unfortunatly, the price is double, circular being the expensive one.

Watch out for having more than one filter on the lense at the same time. You may get some vignetting.
 

u2nofear

New Member
Feb 25, 2006
1,528
0
0
#3
"Hoya" is popular...especially IR filter
 

Oct 28, 2002
40
0
0
Singapore
#4
wee_wei said:
:D any recommandation of brand of uv filter which i can get?? going to purchase them for both my lens. and also, do i need any polarising filter? mostly, will take photo in the day..
There are many different types of HOYA filters - eg. HMC, SMC, Pro-1, Pro-1 Digital.

I recommend the Pro-1 Digital filters since they have the lowest absorbance (ie highest light transmittance), and the narrowest ring so you can stack several filters together with reduced vignetting.

However this filter is usually not in stock, and you will have to order them from say John 3:16.
 

wee_wei

New Member
Feb 19, 2006
68
0
0
#5
cool_sahara said:
There are many different types of HOYA filters - eg. HMC, SMC, Pro-1, Pro-1 Digital.

I recommend the Pro-1 Digital filters since they have the lowest absorbance (ie highest light transmittance), and the narrowest ring so you can stack several filters together with reduced vignetting.

However this filter is usually not in stock, and you will have to order them from say John 3:16.

I think I will just stick to HMC. Not much budget now... need to get lotsa stuff...
and also, any poloriser to recommand?? Hoya as well?
 

Oct 28, 2002
40
0
0
Singapore
#6
wee_wei said:
I think I will just stick to HMC. Not much budget now... need to get lotsa stuff...
and also, any poloriser to recommand?? Hoya as well?
Actually it is very hard to find top-range UV filters in Singapore. I believe it is not much in demand. People prefer to use something cheap as a lens protector, so HMC does the job.

I would recommend circular polariser from HOYA as well, simply because HOYA is the largest glass maker on earth. They have the best equipment, and provide top quality for the lowest price.
http://www.businessweek.com/it100/2005/company/HOYA.htm
 

nightpiper

Senior Member
Oct 20, 2003
2,152
0
0
#7
try the B+W filter, both UV & polariser. u will see the diff between this & Hoya top range. be warn: B+W filters not cheap at all but very good. :devil: go test it out for urself, i was sold!! :bsmilie:
 

nightpiper

Senior Member
Oct 20, 2003
2,152
0
0
#9
sorry i dun have any price list at hand, but expect it to be really expensive into S$100+ range if its a 77mm size. better to go down to CP to see the diff & judge for urself if its worth that much money. as i said, i was sold!! :devil: :lovegrin:
 

wee_wei

New Member
Feb 19, 2006
68
0
0
#10
nightpiper said:
sorry i dun have any price list at hand, but expect it to be really expensive into S$100+ range if its a 77mm size. better to go down to CP to see the diff & judge for urself if its worth that much money. as i said, i was sold!! :devil: :lovegrin:
100+ is ex... My budget is not so high.. at least for now...
 

diCam

New Member
Sep 22, 2003
1,168
1
0
East of SG
www.flickr.com
#11
I got 1 B+W UV and 1 C-PL filter (as a gift;p ). All 58mm. IIRC, UV is $40+ and C-PL is S$150+. Both are very good quality filter
 

wee_wei

New Member
Feb 19, 2006
68
0
0
#12
diCam said:
I got 1 B+W UV and 1 C-PL filter (as a gift;p ). All 58mm. IIRC, UV is $40+ and C-PL is S$150+. Both are very good quality filter

i got a hoya HMC(20) and a polarising filter(45).. is that ex??

we dont use polarising at night right? HMC can be attach all the time right??
 

OlyFlyer

Senior Member
Mar 22, 2006
2,161
0
0
#13
Right/wrong and right.

I mean, for the polarizing at night: even at nights it will remove (some) reflections from some reflecting surfaces, mainly non-metallic surfaces. Try rotating pointing at different subjects and you will see the result. You don't even have to take a picture to see the difference. Of corse, taking pictures won't hurt either. The best about digital photography, once you paid for the stuff, it won't cost you anything to take and wiew pics.

For the UV, it makes no difference according to me, so I never remove that. You have to try if you can have two filters on at the same time without any vignetting. Specially at 14mm it may be a problem. I only have UV, no polarizing yet. Of corse, I could try with two UV just to see, but PL is a bit thicker than UV anyway, at least my old ones.
 

Pablo

Senior Member
Sep 1, 2004
1,854
0
0
Blue/Green Planet
#14
Hi,

I have a few good Hoya UV filters, but for my Olympus 40-150mm lens I have a 58mm UV filter made by Canon.

It is better quality, but not as good nor as expensive as a B&W one.

Might be worth a look for you.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom