UV filter or CPL filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHenrYY

Mar 18, 2009
Singapore
Hi guys,
sorry if this question had been answered for many times already.

i'm confused for the use of the 2 filter mentioned above.
If you're taking photos casually, which filter will you choose?

i'm currently using UV filter.
thinking of getting CPL filter as the richness in color and the "anti"-reflections attracts me .
is HOYA filter good enough for newbie?

:dunno:

I am sure u have an idea of what ur existing UV filter does / doesn.

Polarisation by the CPL can occur via reflection for non metallic surfaces. A reflection from a body of water presents a (polarised) the glare prevents viewing beneath the water. In this case a polariser that cuts out the glare can effectively allow viewing through the water surface. This is the same for glass as well.

But dun bet on cutting mirror reflections / reflections off metallic shiny surfaces.

Foilages improve somewhat with polarisers as a result of the cutting off of some glare from them, improving their greens.

Skies are made more blue and clouds more contrasty when the polariser filters off the stray light bounced by the overlying dust and haze particles in the skies.

Does not always value add to the picture, but it can be pretty useful non-reproducible-in-photoshop filter to have for selected landscapes

Bear in mind that because of the polarisation, some of the light is cut off , and as a result, it also reduces the amount of light that reaches ur camera.
( Hence the saying that it can act like a low power ND filter. But of course it is not exactly color neutral unlike an ND filter. The amout of light it cuts off is variable from brands to their own makes. )

Ryan

Last edited:
from experience,

dun need CPL becos u can do it in photoshop nowadays..

dun need UV actually.. instead " protective filter " which is plain glass will do to protect yr lens as first line defense to foreign objects.

in this way.. u save quite lot of money... photoshop is very advanced now.

dun need CPL becos u can do it in photoshop nowadays..

I will pass on the comment about whether the UV filter is necessary or not.

But how do u photoshop the details of a bottom of a lake when all u got was a glare over the surface unpolarised ?

Ryan

Some of the effects CPL give you are non-reproducible on computer. If you like landscape photos or even just like to take photos in day time, a CPL is an indispensable accessory. Get it for good shots.:)

xD i see. yea, i like landscapes shots.

what about portraits ?
does anybody use CPL for portraits?
yes, some times glares/reflections on glass/water is super annoying .

*thanks for the replies so far. =DD*

Mainly use it for my landscapes. I dun think most people use it for portraits unless somehow the advantages of a polariser is somewhat needed in that particular shot.

hmmm, i think i kind of understand.
it all depends on the situation for the usage of the filters.

and btw, how much does HOYA filter cost? can recommend me ma?
i'm kind of wanna get those "usable and not ex" type can le... =)

wat is the size u are looking at?

i just bought a Hoya 62mm CPL filter for $62

hmmm, sld be 67mm lor.
wow. then mus be more ex den urs. zD
well ,before this thread gets out of point,
i'll go down to shop and take a look.

thanks for the comments so far. =]

i use cpl 52mm on my 35mm. i wished mine was a hoya.

mine sucks alot of light so sometime i can shoot with low iso big aperture. i did see the effect [giantcanopy] mentioned. i slightly deeper blue sky gradient in the early evening and less glare from leaves. wonder if it also means less glare from faces. I used to use UV filter, mine is the super cheapo brand alan photo recommend me, seems to catch flares very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.