UV filter or Cir-PL filter ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo...

May 19, 2005
Sembawang
Hi...
I have B+W UV haze MRC filter and Cir PL filter too.
When is the right enviroment/condition to use UV and/or Cir PL filter ?

--> My friend adviced me to use CirPL when taking photo during
bright/sunny day (noon time) but just using UV filter when taking photo
around afternoon time (after 5pm onwards).

Is it correct ?

Pls advice or share your opinion.
Thx :bwhat:

Hi...

Is it correct ?

from what i know a polariser works best when the sun is at a low angle in the sky, thus using it after 5pm should yield stronger polarisation :)

Hi...

Is it correct ?

UV filters are meant for filtering out UV lights and also double up as lens protector so it should be on always not after 5pm!

CPLs in a nutshell helps to saturate colors in your shots especially common when used to make blue skies bluer, and to cut down reflections caused by glass or water. This is more commonly used when the sun is at right angles with you usually at afternoons NOT at noon time!

Please do a search in the forum... tons of info on these here.

Thanks for all of you who gave good information ;)
I do appreciate that !

Actually you can use the polariser anytime, but it depends on your usage.

Other than deepening the blue sky, you can use a polariser for:
- increasing saturation of foliage
- eliminate reflection from shop's display window, allowing you to shot at the products without the distracting reflection from the glass.
- used as a 2 stop(?) neutral density filter, giving you a slower shutter speed
- used creatively on certain surfaces to get all the weird polarised colours
- protects your front element, but at the expense of losing 2 stops(?)

You can say that polariser is a pretty useful filter, even for digital photography. I'm sure some others can think of more uses for a polariser.

As an add-on question after reading this, Can Cir-Polarizers stack on top of UV filter?

UV filter is just to adsorb UV light. I think almost glass adsorbs UV ray. So don't need 2 filters UV and CPL stacking on top of each other bah..use 1 enough. I don't even have an UV filter ..

UV filter is just to adsorb UV light. I think almost glass adsorbs UV ray. So don't need 2 filters UV and CPL stacking on top of each other bah..use 1 enough. I don't even have an UV filter ..
On digital, most UV acts as a protector... UV filter is important when it comes to film photography..

Yup... and i may not want to spend the time to clean both front element and the UV filter (which acts as lens protector) when i unscrew - then re-screw after done with the circ-polarizer..

me just lazy :p and picky if i see dust on either side...

On digital, most UV acts as a protector... UV filter is important when it comes to film photography..

Yeah.thanks ExploerZ. For film i think UV will affect the blue layer on film. For digital, almost UV filter acts as protectors but I tried last time a Tiffen UV filter (model 8.. something forgot liao). I feel it make the pic warmer..:D..

Yeah.thanks ExploerZ. For film i think UV will affect the blue layer on film. For digital, almost UV filter acts as protectors but I tried last time a Tiffen UV filter (model 8.. something forgot liao). I feel it make the pic warmer..:D..
warmer... :think: not sure...
maybe yours is skylight instead of UV or could be inconsistant auto WB from most digital cam

Status
Not open for further replies.