UV Filter for EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandiacus

Jun 27, 2008
Hougang
Hi, I'm getting my 50/1.8 soon and I would like to ask is it necessary to get a UV Filter for this lens?

Read some post saying that the front element is deep enough to prevent stray fingers from touching and stuff but...do I at least have to get it? :confused:

Thanks.

aint the filter more expensive then the lens? haha

i got this lens too and got a UV filter to go with it, but i have not used the filter ever since, can have rather bad flaring in some situations

Hi, I'm getting my 50/1.8 soon and I would like to ask is it necessary to get a UV Filter for this lens?

Read some post saying that the front element is deep enough to prevent stray fingers from touching and stuff but...do I at least have to get it?

Thanks.
I personally would not get a filter for this lens since the filter size is not the same as all my other lenses. And of course this is Canon's only $130 lens so might as well use without filter.

I don't think 52mm filters are that expensive =/

Hmm thanks for the replies people! :D

losing $10-30 definitely beats losing $130 if u accidentally scratch the lens.

I also have the filter as a protection for my 50mm F/1.8 lens.
Maybe u can consider to get a 3rd party lens hood if u dun want to buy the filter for it.

i just realised that a lousy filter does affects the amount of light coming in.
Once i realised that, I took away all filters on my lenses and im getting better shutter speeds in low light conditions.
So far, I've attended several photography seminars and those Pros don't use a filter. It might be because they can afford the equipment but they said that they rarely scratch a lens or badly damage it.

So far, I've attended several photography seminars and those Pros don't use a filter. It might be because they can afford the equipment but they said that they rarely scratch a lens or badly damage it.

the pros can afford it..haha! :bsmilie::bsmilie: but not ur average joe...

i just realised that a lousy filter does affects the amount of light coming in.
Once i realised that, I took away all filters on my lenses and im getting better shutter speeds in low light conditions.

A scratch to the glass will probably not show up on the picture. But it will affect the 2nd hand price. Most pros who do not use filters are probably using company equipment, or sponsored. Either that, or they are already making loads of money, so a single shoot can cover for the price of a lens.

Last edited:
Hm I think I'll get a filter...like what my Mom sometimes say

买一个安心

i've got UV & CPL filters, primary purpose also to protect my lens.
for the CPL filter, it really aids abit for daytime landscape.

for night, i wun use any filters, always got flares, affected the light intake...

Just how likely will I or someone scratches my lens? I asked myself many times. If I am careful, such risk will be kept to minimum. Why am I so afraid of dust and dirt getting to the lens, shouldn't I learn to deal with them?

After 4 months of shooting and seeing flares in some of my pictures. I took the UV filter off my kit lens. If there are dust, dirt or stain on the lens and cleaning required, a blower and a microfibre cloth will do the job.

Since then, the pictures look so much nicer so I thought. :)

I suppose you want better pictures or you won't get a prime lens. Let the lens performs to its best, don't shoot through a glass. ;)

Last edited:
If you are going to put on an UV filter, get a good one, otherwise, don't bother. As for whether it is worth to get a $40 filter on a $150 lens? It is every person's call. Personally, I won't...

For a ~$120 lens, I'll get a cheap third-party hood. It's 52mm filter size, not many other lens that interests me is using this size, so no UV filter for me. If really die-die need, maybe go for step-up rings to fit larger sized filters?

Get a b+w filter! but it will cost a bomb.!

Just got my 50mm and a Hoya UV 52mm...lens cost me $121 and the filter cost me $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.