UV Filter Causes under exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.

qing02051981

Dec 25, 2005
Simei
hancheng-travel.blogspot.com
I had a Hoya UV 72mm filter on my Nikon 18-200mm.

I notice that for all my photos when viewed on my PC, they are under exposed by a bit and I have to auto adjust the brightness of the photos. Is this caused by UV filters?

Don't think that UV will caused underexposed.

You might want to look at the histogram of your shot to confirm it's under-exposed. The might be you PC screen is not calibrated that show a darker image.

are the pictures underexposed in your camera's viewfinder?
how lond did you set your shutter?
most of the time, UV photography requires long shutter speeds.

I notice that for all my photos when viewed on my PC, they are under exposed by a bit and I have to auto adjust the brightness of the photos. Is this caused by UV filters?
no, UV filter will not cause your images underexposed, since UV has filter factor of 1 ( 0 stops).

anyway, if you are using TTL metering, camera meter will compensate the filter factor for the filter you use. Unless you are using handheld (extender) meter, than you need to compensate filter factor in your final exposure.

very simple... shoot with and without the filter and see if there is any difference... :)

but Nikon is known to be conservative in exposure... I set my camera to permanently increase exposure by 1/2 a stop... it works for me but might be too much for others...

ooohh.. :embrass:
so sorry. see wrong.

No. In the viewfinder, it is ok.

erm, i meant IR photography.
i got mixed up.
however, i suggest that you shoot with the filter out and see if there is a difference as commented by theRBK .

are the pictures underexposed in your camera's viewfinder?
how lond did you set your shutter?
most of the time, UV photography requires long shutter speeds.

IR you mean?

IR? Read the FAQ in the IR/UV sub forum and then post a question if the stickies don't satisfy you =p Remember that for IR you may need very long exposures. On my Olympus E510, they're typically over 1 sec. I hear some Canon cameras need like 10+ secs or so.

IR? Read the FAQ in the IR/UV sub forum and then post a question if the stickies don't satisfy you =p Remember that for IR you may need very long exposures. On my Olympus E510, they're typically over 1 sec. I hear some Canon cameras need like 10+ secs or so.

i cannot even get hold of the hoya R72 52mm. :cry:
so i cannot try it out. :(

since when TS (qing02051981) talking about IR photography??

TS please confirm you are asking questions about normal color photography or IR photography.

Did you have the answers to your question now??

No. More likely caused by your camera meter. SLR's will meter with whatever filter is on the lens.

since when TS (qing02051981) talking about IR photography??

TS please confirm you are asking questions about normal color photography or IR photography.

Did you have the answers to your question now??

Guys. I am talking about normal photography. I am using Hoya Ultra Violet Filter

Since the camera metered whatever lens is used, can i say the filter causes under expose since it affects the camera meter?

Nope. If the lens/filter let in less light, the metering will compensate to achieve optimal exposure by increasing the apperture or reducing the shutter speed. UV filter should not affect the metering.

BC

Status
Not open for further replies.