Utterly horrible, unprofessional and totally digusted service at Lord's

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyfoot17

Jan 2, 2005
Tampines
I went to Lord's with the intention of buying some marco accessories, cos I had seen quite a bit of accessories that they carry.

So I braved the rain with my galfren and went happliy to get my marco stuff after managing to exchange 10 out of my 12 Sanyo 2500mAh batteries. When I arrived at the shop, there's this guy in very short hair by the name of Kelvin, who was just seated himself in the middle of the display case. So he just turned ard and gestured his head upwards and said 'What u looking for ?' in the most uninterested manner. Ok, neber mind, I may be a small time buyer, but at least i'm a customer rite...

So I asked for a BR-3 at the front show case and what's the price and he just took out a file, with his ass still planted to the seat and told me the price. So I also saw a BR-5 and I really didn't know what's the use of it. So I just asked what's the function of it.He just said ' I tink its for 55 mm lense', which I later found out from Nikon's catalog, that it's not even close to what he told me. So he just slouched back into his seat. I also wanted to get a 6T, but seeing that the show case was totally stocked up, I cldn't find any. So I asked if he has a 6T and the answer was, 'It's all there'. Looking at his totally uninterested, BOCHUP attitude. I told my galfren who was seated in the middle of the shop, to leave.

So this Kelvin guy left the shop for a fag or sometink and as I was abt to leave, I continued to linger at the front show case and see if I can figure out a 6T thru the heavily stocked show case. Another shorter and older guy attended to me helpfully and I asked to have a look at the BR-3. So he took it out for me and having a hunch that the Kelvin guy was trying to cheat me of the price of the BR-3, I asked this latter guy for the price again. He went flipping thru the file again and as I was b z looking thru the accessories, he returned and asked me what price did the Kelvin guy quoted me. So I told him honestly and decided to buy the BR-3, not wanting to hunt ard at other shops again, with the weather like that.

After i left the shop, my galfren who returned to her seat in the middle of the shop after I decided to linger,asked me ' Is this the only shop that is selling the accessory?' I said 'No, why?' She then told me that when the shorter guy was flipping thru the price list, the Boss (I tink, an elder guy who looks quite a gentleman) told him in Hokkien and said ' Dun have to check the price for him, Kelvin already told him the price already'. He then told the shorter guy to call Kelvin back to attend to me. The shorter guy said he is not in the other shop. But by then, I have already decided to pay for the BR-3.

When I heard what my galfren told me, I was really pissed off. Can't imagine that's it's the Boss saying it somemore.

So if I'm not buying some expensive lense or cam, does it mean that I have to b treated with such service ? I vowed and sweared to NEVER EVER to step into Lord's again, even if I have to pay a higher price at CP.

Sorry for the long winded story. But I just wana cautioned potential CSbers so that they will not be treated like crap.

u mentioned, by, then u decided to pay, then ur galfrend told u abt the stucky thing, in the end u still got buy??

the more i read this, the more i recall how i am cheated by "some" shops, though i din buy any..

(btw, trust me, young guys like us tend to encounter this kind of situation, even in some "better ones", but CP i agree its good:thumbsup: )

I was only told by my galfren after we left the shop ...

I seriously didnt hear what the Boss actually told the shorter guy, as I was so engrossed in trying to find the 6T in the heavily stocked show case.

Super pissed still ...

oh lord! btw where is lords? anyways, i haven't really found a shop that offers good service. the experienced are normally less patient while the less experienced are more service orientated. i have learned to lower my expectations.

Lord's is at Lucky Plaza.

I feel the Marina CP service is quite good actually.

Another is Alan photo, though some have had nasty encounters ...

Not too sure abt the rest.

I think most people in here avoid shops at Lucky Plaza at all costs, due to the poor reputation.

i only went once,was serve by james IIRC,the service was excellent.Maybe got new guys.

Like i said before, i never liked business people :nono:
They feel you owe it to them to pay for their mercedes benz and landed properties. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

wow...sorry to hear about your experience. i visited them only twice and got quite good service both times. :think:

The service at John 3:16 at Funan is not bad, although the price is most of the time 5-10% more than AP......:bigeyes:

The gentleman looking Guy, must be James. And the Short hair guy must be kelvin.

I'm a Lords regular, and in my opinion, its the best shop to purchase camera stuff from. I've always been attended by James. My first encounter with Lords was good, the price they gave me for a Canon A40 3 years ago was excellent, they quoted me a low price from the start, they always do, as such I seldom bargain. James usually allow me to toy around with lenses and stuff.... even if I'm just fooling around with them. Never once, there is an obligation to purchase. He always tells me... u go home and think first, no problem... dont buy on impulse. :bigeyes: Maybe its because I know him now, but still, service was excellent right at the start, never an obligation to buy.

Kelvin is a new employee ... maybe about 2 yrs plus, and he knows little about cameras. Abit stuck up looking, but once u know him... he is good.

A good friend of mine who is also a regular got to bring a 17-55mmf2.8 on a trip to Thailand, and he was allowed to pay up if he liked it after the trip. James even lend him a 512mb cf card for the trip. But of course, there is a lot of trust between them.

I guess Lords may not be the friendliest for a first time buyer, but they make the best long term friends. :)

marcwang said:
The gentleman looking Guy, must be James. And the Short hair guy must be kelvin.

I'm a Lords regular, and in my opinion, its the best shop to purchase camera stuff from. I've always been attended by James. My first encounter with Lords was good, the price they gave me for a Canon A40 3 years ago was excellent, they quoted me a low price from the start, they always do, as such I seldom bargain. James usually allow me to toy around with lenses and stuff.... even if I'm just fooling around with them. Never once, there is an obligation to purchase. He always tells me... u go home and think first, no problem... dont buy on impulse. :bigeyes: Maybe its because I know him now, but still, service was excellent right at the start, never an obligation to buy.

Kelvin is a new employee ... maybe about 2 yrs plus, and he knows little about cameras. Abit stuck up looking, but once u know him... he is good.

A good friend of mine who is also a regular got to bring a 17-55mmf2.8 on a trip to Thailand, and he was allowed to pay up if he liked it after the trip. James even lend him a 512mb cf card for the trip. But of course, there is a lot of trust between them.

I guess Lords may not be the friendliest for a first time buyer, but they make the best long term friends. :)
I second that.

I only deal with James at Lords and I always leave there happy, not only satisfied.

A year back I had to get a 2nd 12-24mm lens urgently when he offered me the (then) new Tokina 12-24. After using it for 2 back-to-back shoots, I found that the lens gave me severe chromatic aberration. Brought the lens there and he'd gladly did a swop with a Nikkor. Of course I had to top up the cost. But I still got a great price. And no questions asked.

Then again, as Marcwang has posted, there is a lot of trust between the two parties. I like to deal this way too. And shops that can work with me like this, gets my money.

Well, I hope you find a shop that you can shop comfortably and happily with. All the best.

Quite a few of my friends buy from Lords, and have nothing but praise for their services.

I've had good experiences with James, but only him. i don't bother talking to the rest (i don't know the others), and if james is not there or he's off, i won't go. if i need to go down, i'll call up first and make sure he's there.

not saying the rest are bad, just that my trust is with james, and i only wanna deal with him. :)

Usually, I would call them ask for the price first, if i think the price is ok, i will go there...
If they give me another price when I am there, I would tell him the price he give me in the phone...

After one very bad experience at Alan Photo at Funan, though it is unfair to say the same for Alan Photo at Sim Lim, I decided not to even go near those shops. Not supporting one for the other. Simple as that.

As for this Lords shop, thanks to threadstarter for pointing it out. Another shop to blacklist. I see no reason for a customer, whether buying a S$10 filter or an expensive Canon 5D be subjected to the kind of insult that was shown by the people of the shop. Even worse if you actually overheard what they said.

New or experienced, not an excuse for rude and don't care attitude. When I a customer wants to come back to your shop after a first bad experience with one of the staff, doesn't that indicate that the customer actually wants to buy something, and willing to ignore the first bad encounter?

I am not a regular customer to most shops, but I do really hate it when I walked in a shop, total stranger to most of these salespeople, don't get attended first if they are busy with their "regulars", or when you are being serverd, there's this occassional interruptions by people, etc.

We need to have this kind of report/feedback/channel to highlight these kinds of experiences. When there is enough people who do not patronise these bad shops, that's when they will start to think that customers' feedback and complaints are valuable to their business survival.

Experience at Lords is positive and I second that James service is also good.
His price are also OK.
Trust is another thing but allowing a 17-55 to be brought overseas to be used and only pay up if liked is another thing to me, what happens to the lens if it is not liked after the trip ??.
BTW most shops I know gives good experience if you talk to the correct salesman, even in Sim Lim. The key is the correct salesman.
So far shops that I know that does not have complaints are TK Foto and John 3:16.

Cool down man, sometimes you have to pay to learn the true face of mankind. There's no excuse for them to treat you like this even if they are the holiest person in the world. Just blacklist the shop and tell your friends never to go there. The price for them is business lost. :cool:

Dennis said:
Experience at Lords is positive and I second that James service is also good.
His price are also OK.
Trust is another thing but allowing a 17-55 to be brought overseas to be used and only pay up if liked is another thing to me, what happens to the lens if it is not liked after the trip ??.
BTW most shops I know gives good experience if you talk to the correct salesman, even in Sim Lim. The key is the correct salesman.
So far shops that I know that does not have complaints are TK Foto and John 3:16.

They will probably sell the returned used lens to the next unsuspecting guy as brand new. I don't quite like the ethics. But then if it is ok for some people to enjoy the free use of lens, what can we do? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.