USPS: Two months, no delivery. No idea where my package is. Tracking wiped.

Peter Gwee

Jan 24, 2014
Hi!

Please refrain from using USPS for your postal needs.
Frankly, I am quite tired and pissed with their services.

Here is the full story.
My friend in the US had this package for me.
He dropped the package off at USPS on 2013-11-08,
and was given a tracking number.
He informed me of the tracking number on the same day.

For the next few days, the provided tracking information looks good:
utix.png

Please note the last date of entry: 2013-11-09.
Also, note the requested service: Priority Mail International

Guess what?
It stayed like this for two months.
No additional information.
No updates.
SingPost Ang Mo Kio had no information.

Being an impatient guy like me, I contacted my friend on 2014-01-17.
He claims that he will give USPS a call before weekend.
True to his word, he informed me later that USPS was vague and do not know where my package is, exactly.

Two days later...
g1e0.png

Please note the first date of entry: 2014-01-19.
Also, note the missing field below "Postal Product:"

USPS had wiped all previous tracking information and had replaced them with a totally new set of entries.
This not only shows that USPS had the capability, but also shows that they are hiding their incompetence by manipulating information from their customers.

That last action really ticks me off.
They are deceiving customers by manipulating records.
Lucky for me, I took a screenshot previously.
Let this be a lesson for all of us:
Everything online can be manipulated. Always take a screenshot for proof.

This is my first time using USPS.
This will also be my last.
Pass this message around.
Inform your friends.
Think twice before using USPS.

Sounds like they are SingPost's subsidiary, or the other way round. Postal Bermuda triangles.

You joined clubsnap just to post this?

USPS only handles the US side of shipping. Some other company ships the package to Singapore. SingPost handles the local end. Any one or more companies could be responsible for the mess.

If you valued the package, pay more and ship on UPS or FedEx. But really, stuff might still happen. I once used DHL and one item was missing abs I had to call them to find the item.

If a luggage in a reputable carrier can go missing, I am not surprise about this one. Most fo these systems rely on automated sorting system and barcode, if at that point of time the machine or the barcode on the package got problem, your parcel will lost track, but as soon as you open a case, they will be able to back track and retrieve the item where it was held, if not, it must be man in the middle kaputted your goods, In this case I am sure there must be a way for you to eslate to their lost and found and claim your lost according to their liability limit.

Sometimes I find USPS international priority mail for packages not really that cheap compared to premium couriers like UPS & Fedex. Many times just top up a few USD and can get UPS or Fedex, with full tracking and accountability, best of all, guaranteed delivery within few business days.

@NazgulKing, I joined ClubSNAP because I notice many ClubSNAPers using USPS.
I just want to inform all ClubSNAPers to think twice before having their precious lenses shipped from US by USPS.

Anyway, SingPost AMK informed me that they now have information about the parcel and I should be expecting my shipment sometime next week.
I hope it arrives before Chinese New Year.

Last edited:
I just want to inform all ClubSNAPers to think twice before having their precious lenses shipped from US by USPS.

Anyway, SingPost AMK informed me that they now have information about the parcel and I should be expecting my shipment sometime next week.

Great to here all is not lost. But prepared to pay for GST if the value is >S$400

@NazgulKing, I joined ClubSNAP because I notice many ClubSNAPers using USPS. I just want to inform all ClubSNAPers to think twice before having their precious lenses shipped from US by USPS. Anyway, SingPost AMK informed me that they now have information about the parcel and I should be expecting my shipment sometime next week. I hope it arrives before Chinese New Year.

That means it wasn't lost , but interesting to see how the update entries were changed. I had items lost thru Singpost before as a comparison. Thanks for sharing.

It's does take a long time to reach in some instances , especially during end of the year period.

If u really want it fast and dependable , I use FedEx. Crazy enough to put in request today, and they collect today , and the item reaches the recipient in HK within next 2 days. Same thing as when I order lenses from my trusted dealer in HK, all within 2 days.

Look. Problems such as these do happen. But going all alarmist is ridiculous. I once sent 15 boxes from the US to Singapore via USPS and all arrived safely. On the other hand, DHL made a mess of one of my boxes, losing one item which was found later. If you value what you have inside there, buy insurance. Everything else is a game of roulette.

Are you sure your friend sent via USPS PMI? From the timeframe, it looks more like First class mail with tracking number.

USPS had wiped all previous tracking information and had replaced them with a totally new set of entries.
This not only shows that USPS had the capability, but also shows that they are hiding their incompetence by manipulating information from their customers.

That last action really ticks me off.
They are deceiving customers by manipulating records.
Lucky for me, I took a screenshot previously.
Let this be a lesson for all of us:
Everything online can be manipulated. Always take a screenshot for proof.

Did you read their fine print before shipping Priority Mail letter? There's no tracking for letter so it's perfectly fine for them to re-use the tracking number.

Limitations may apply for certain destinations. Not available for Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes or Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes.

Last edited:
I've used USPS for the past twenty years without issues but sometimes hiccups to happen as there's millions of parcels to process daily. One of my parcel literally went around the globe for months before ending back here so at it least it was delivered.

For more important/urgent items just use FedEx, DHL etc with better customer service & insurance.

Received my package yesterday.
Item is fine.

The package went back to sender actually.
My friend in the US had to resend the package.
New tracking number was given.

At least I successfully receive my package.
I didn't know US was on Mars.

Received my package yesterday.
Item is fine.

The package went back to sender actually.
My friend in the US had to resend the package.
New tracking number was given.

At least I successfully receive my package.
I didn't know US was on Mars.

Eight months! damn