Using Wide Angle / Tele Converter on your camera

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
I see many newbies being rip off by shops when purchasing 3rd party wide angle converter for their :

1) Digital Compact Camera

2) DSLR + lens

Common sense will tell you a Digital Compact or DSLR camera cost that much because of R&D since it is complicated with many components and image sensor + other cost.

A proper lens (typical more than 6 lens element, AF motor, image stablelizing mechanism) cost that much because of R&D cost + other cost.

So, looking at the wide-con, how does it compare to the above 2 items? Its basically just a housing with 2-5 lens elements which cost $100-$300. Compare that with any 50mm with f1.8 & AF motor, this kind of lens typically cost $100-$150.

Know this, a proper lens is design to give optimum image quality without any additional glass that will change its focal length.

We are not talking about investment where there are tons of paper to go through, many small prints & tons of legal jargon that commoners like us can understand.

Anyway, I am starting a thread here, I hope everybody can help contribute, to state :

1) the makes of the wide con as well as the price.

2) using on which camera (for digital), or using on which lens on the which dslr.

3) how are they connected

4) what are the setting used for that photo.

5) show the photo of the wide con (I understand sometime the same 3rd party wide con can be marketed under different branding) so to make identification of the wide con easier.

6) to show the image quality of with 3 photos
6a) original image down size
6b) center portion at 100% crop (no other post processing)
6c) either one of the corners at 100% crop (no other post processing)

7) Last but not least, any modification done.

It may be abit troublesome for the contributor, but hai, this forum is about sharing and helping each other.

Please try to keep this thread clean, only post what is required, let the newbies decides for themselves.

Wide con : Olympus 0.7x wide con (4 glass elements, 55mm thread mount)
bought from fellow cser at 2006 for $80
oly-0_7x-wide-con.jpg

Sorry, dont know the brand of the adapter, it is solid metal (sliver part) material.
g2-adapter.jpg

Please note : I have shorten (slowly sanding it down, but maintain the squareness) the Adapter so as to achieve best IQ for the oly wide con. During the shortening process, I tested image at every stage (0.5mm interval). Now I cant use 52mm filter as it will block the lens from full extension. So have to use 55mm filter size.

Also, reducing the length of the adapter eliminate the vignet problem.

There is also a similar design converter by Kodak, I tested it and find it is sharper at the corners when compare to the oly one.
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=2096

Wide con : Digital King DSLR PRO 0.5x Wcon & Macro (2 glass elements, 58mm thread mount)
borrow from peterpan1975
digi-king-dslr-pro-0_5x-1.jpg

digi-king-dslr-pro-0_5x-2.jpg

To illustrate (5) mention above
http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/seemorepictures.asp?productid=2568&pid=0
as well as post #30 contributed by fellow cser mabmy
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466068&page=2

Cherry Aux. Wide Angle Lens For AF35ML (2 glass elements, 48mm thread mount)
bought from shop together as a pair with Cherry Tele Converter and viewfinder converter as well as a leather box at $50, got them for my Canonet QL17GIII
if my guess is correct, these 2 converter lens were made for Canon AF35ML Compact Film Camrea
http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/canon_af35ml.html
Cherry_Aux_Wideangle_Lens_for_AF35ML.jpg

Last edited:
Some digital Compact cameras do have OEM wide converters, e.g. Nikon.

The rip-off is when these are sold for dSLR.

I have added Tele-Converter into this thread.

Tele-Converter : Canon TCDC 52B (1.6x)
5 elements / 3 groups
52mm mount
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...B_1_6x_Teleconverter_Lens.html#specifications
Bought it at Alex Photo for $70

Tele-Converter : Olympus TCON 14 (1.45x, Snap on version)
3 elements / 2 groups
46mm mount
peterpan1975 bought it from fellow cser at $50

Last edited:
Wide con : Olympus 0.7x wide con (4 glass elements, 55mm thread mount), refer to #1
Connection : 52-55 step up ring, no filter in between
Setting : Tripod mounted, ISO 100, 1.3sec, f5.6

window6.jpg

Centre crop to 20%
window-centre-20_.jpg

Corner crop to 20%
window-TL-corner-20_.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm... What's the point of having this (good) thread, if:

1. Newbies never search the forum anyway
2. People only come on here to complain *after* they bought the lens?

Actually I think this thread would be really helpful. Before i bought mine i did try to research online and all, but did not find enough information about it. Only after I bought it then i realised the problems. Thanks dennis!

There are people who do search the forums, but of course they wouldn't post a thread saying "Hi i searched the forums thanks for the threads that helped" ;p

Would be good if this can be stickied, there might be a decrease in people getting cheated into buying the convertors. Best to mention the rough price range that convertors should go for, cause the main issue seems to be people getting conned into paying many times of what the convertor's value is.

Last edited:
Wide con : Olympus 0.7x wide con (4 glass elements, 55mm thread mount), refer to #1
Camera : Canon G2
Connection : 3rd party adapter + 52-55 step up ring, no filter in between
Setting : Tripod mounted, Lens at widest, ISO 50, 1/3sec, f8

CRW_6668.jpg

Centre 20%
Centre-20_.jpg

Corner 20%
Corner-BL-20_.jpg

Last edited:
Wide con : Digital King DSLR PRO 0.5x Wcon & Macro (2 glass elements, 58mm thread mount), refer to #1
Connection : 3rd party adapter + 52-58 step up ring, no filter in between

CRW_6669.jpg

Centre 20%
centre-20_1.jpg

Corner 20%
Corner-BL-20_1.jpg

Last edited:
Wide con : Digital King DSLR PRO 0.5x Wcon & Macro (2 glass elements, 58mm thread mount), refer to #1
Connection : Original Canon G2 adapter (borrow from friend), no filter in between

CRW_66691.jpg

Centre 20%
centre-20_2.jpg

Corner 20%
Corner-BL-20_2.jpg

Last edited:
Camera : D60 + sigma 24mm f2.8 macro
Connection : 52-55 step up ring, no filter in between
Setting : Tripod mounted, ISO 100, 1/6sec, f8

IMG_6851.jpg

Centre 20%
Centre-20_3.jpg

Corner 20%
Corner-BL-20_3.jpg

Last edited:
Camera : D60 + sigma 24mm f2.8 macro
Connection : 52-58 step up ring, no filter in between
Setting : Tripod mounted, ISO 100, 1/6sec, f8

IMG_6852.jpg

Centre 20%
Centre-20_4.jpg

Corner 20%
Corner-BL-20_4.jpg

Last edited:
Thumbs up for a very useful thread.

hi guys

i no more wide angle converter, pls contribute to this thread if you have one.

or, we can meet up for the test shots.

anyway, so far, i have tested 4 wide con (but no photo to share for the other 2, sorry). but from what i remember :

1) the vitacon 0.45x (silver metal, 2 glass elements, 52mm mount thread) is bad bad image quality

2) the SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH XENAR 0.7X Wide-Angle Lens, 55 mm in appearance looks exactly the same as the oly 0.7x wcon i am using. but for some unknown reason/s, it has better image quality at the corner than the oly.
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=2096

Last edited:
Connection : 3rd party adapter + 52-55 step up ring, no filter in between
Setting : Hand held, Lens at widest, ISO 100, 1/200sec, f5.6

old-supreme-court.jpg

Centre crop to 20%
centre-crop-20-percent.jpg

Corner crop to 20%
corner-crop-to-20_.jpg

Last edited:
anyone else has a wide angle converter? pls post ur photo here.

I have the Raynox 6600 for use with my Canon S3. I'll probably post the pics up tomorrow afternoon...;)

I have heard alots of this converter thing when friend mentioned it to me. There is also the tele-converter too which can increase the distance by mounting it to your camera, is that right ? I am looking into some cost saving of buying one as I have a tight budget to consider. What I am looking is how to increase my kit len EF-S-18-55 IS to increase the distance to between 18 - 105mm or EF-75-300MM f/4-5.6III USM to increase the distance from 45 -600mm. Can I use the converter to do it instead of buying another lens ? What are the accessories that I need and what will be the cost like ? I am new to DSLR and would like to try it out as a newbie then as I graduate later to more experience, I will consider to buy another len to fit all. Please advise. Thanks.

Last edited:
Wide con : Raynox DCR-6600PRO(3 Groups/3 Elements, 52mm thread mount)
Camera : Canon S3 IS
Connection : Raynox Adaptor Tube, no filter in between
Setting : Hand held, Lens at widest, ISO 80, 1/500sec, f5.6

Resized Pic
IMG_5419.jpg

100% crop at top of pic
IMG_5419%20top%20crop.JPG

100% crop at centre of pic
IMG_5419%20centre%20crop.JPG

100% crop at bottom of pic
IMG_5419%20bottom%20crop.JPG

I have heard alots of this converter thing when friend mentioned it to me. There is also the tele-converter too which can increase the distance by mounting it to your camera, is that right ? I am looking into some cost saving of buying one as I have a tight budget to consider. What I am looking is how to increase my kit len EF-S-18-55 IS to increase the distance to between 18 - 105mm or EF-75-300MM f/4-5.6III USM to increase the distance from 45 -600mm. Can I use the converter to do it instead of buying another lens ? What are the accessories that I need and what will be the cost like ? I am new to DSLR and would like to try it out as a newbie then as I graduate later to more experience, I will consider to buy another len to fit all. Please advise. Thanks.

There are teleconverters for Canon, namely by Canon, Kenko and other 3rd party brands. Typically the teleconverters are in 1.4X and 2X teleconversion. However, do note that 1.4X teleconverters lose 1 stop of light and 2X teleconverters lose 2 stops of light and if you use them with slow lenses, you will lose the ability to auto focus. I do not think that the teleconverter can be used with EF-S lenses. Generally they are used with EF lenses only and for Canon teleconverters, autofocus is only available with certain L lenses.

Nope, you can't use teleconverters on EF-S lenses. And you have the wrong understanding of teleconverters and wide converters. The teleconverter multiplies the wide end of your zoom range as well, so you lose the wide end.

Best solution for you is to shoot as much as you can with your current lenses first. You will gradually become more aware of what you normally shoot. Don't be overly concerned with trying to cover all focal lengths... instead discover what your favorite focal lengths are.