using vivitar 285hv with olympus

Status
Not open for further replies.

looteer

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
without TTL control for this flash.... does it mean that i have to work solely in full manual modes.....

i.e. estimate the distance, set the aperture, shutter, etc on the camera... then set the right modes on the flash also.??

:dunno:

okay not full manual.... but aperture priority mode??

no more "P" mode with this flash??

Set your camera to full manual ("M") mode. It's pretty simple, all you have to do is to match your aperture setting with the flash's auto setting, and, for non-SLR cameras, you can pretty much set your shutter speed to whatever you want as long as it's not shorter than the flash duration itself. The flash's sensor will take care of the metering.

oh! I meant use auto mode on the flash. As for the camera, manual mode would probably be more useful. You could also use Aperture Priority but you may end up with long exposure times.

The flash's sensor will take care of the metering.

is this what the auto mode means... that it willl take care of the metering??

i have read about bouncing the flash off the ceiling/walls etc.... will that be a problem for this flash??

Originally posted by looteer
is this what the auto mode means... that it willl take care of the metering??
Yup, that's essentially it. You just set the flash to a certain aperture setting, match this setting on your camera, and basically point and shoot; the flash will determine how much light to put out based on its metering. Having said that, no metering system is ever perfect, so there will of course be tricky situations when you will want to compensate by changing your camera's aperture setting, adjusting your flash's output power, etc. As with most other aspects of photography, the best way to learn is through hands-on experience.

i have read about bouncing the flash off the ceiling/walls etc.... will that be a problem for this flash??
No problem at all, at least for the types of photography that most of us do. I don't have a Vivitar 285HV, but lots and lots of people do and are extremely pleased with this flashgun, so that speaks volumes about its quality.

No problem at all, at least for the types of photography that most of us do. I don't have a Vivitar 285HV, but lots and lots of people do and are extremely pleased with this flashgun, so that speaks volumes about its quality.

i have also heard owners being extremely happy with their FL-40 and how easy it is to use....... so i don't know if it is for me?? the main problem is that it damn expensive.....;(

Originally posted by looteer

i have also heard owners being extremely happy with their FL-40 and how easy it is to use....... so i don't know if it is for me?? the main problem is that it damn expensive.....;(

TTL flash like FL40 is extremely useful ... but at a price.
If you willing to pay for it, why not?
Otherwise, an auto flash like 285hv is good enough (for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.