Using video Lights in place of flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

smutpow

Mar 20, 2007
I'm sure someone out there must have tried or at least thought of this before - using flash lighting meant for video to shoot still shots. Either to cost or get different type of result from the norm of using a flash.

What's the results like? Can this be a "no fish, prawn also can" alternative or it just isn't bright enough?

I've tried this before using flood lights. The batteries alone will give you a good backache. 10kg to be exact. I got very mixed results because I took 2~3 min exposures. Plus its difficult to move around with 10kg around.

Instead of video lighting, you can use Maglite torches. Those big ones especially. You can do some lighting painting as well. Hope that helps.

very interesting idea. Aside from the heat & weight, how does the 'temperature' of the light work out? If is good enough/ easily corrected with WB, maybe can substitue as a cheap source for home studio type of work. That way no need to bother too much about weight ..... using AC source.

the other time, I used the study lamp to fill in some light... quite effective leh...

Depends on what you want to shoot...

Status
Not open for further replies.