Using the vertical hand grip battery compartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Those who use this thing, i believe u take quite some vertical shots.

So wat i want to ask is:

1. Do u hood the neck strap to your neck when taking vertical shots?
  2. If yes, wouldn't the strap hinder your movement and shooting?
  3. If no, your hands won't be tired of keep holding the camera? And wouldn't you worry about dropping the camera accidentally?

1. no

2. yes

3. no

Those who use this thing, i believe u take quite some vertical shots.

So wat i want to ask is:

1. Do u hood the neck strap to your neck when taking vertical shots?
  2. If yes, wouldn't the strap hinder your movement and shooting?
  3. If no, your hands won't be tired of keep holding the camera? And wouldn't you worry about dropping the camera accidentally?

1) Yes, neck strap always on
2) Not at all
3) I never use the neck strap to hold my camera, its just around my neck for emergency or when changing lenses. Otherwise, the camera is always supported by hands without weight on my neckstrap (tiring for the neck too).

If you cant take the weight of the camera, go back to PNS. =X In a proper outing, you'll probably hand hold your system for 6 hours, my system is about 1.8kg on hand with 1 kg in the bag... but I don't really feel any strain on the arms, usually the legs are the tired ones.

u all so fit... my hands get tired easily.

btw, roughly how heavy is D90 + D60 + Nikkor18-200VR?

u all so fit... my hands get tired easily.

btw, roughly how heavy is D90 + D60 + Nikkor18-200VR?

Haha, 2 bodies? Do you really need the 2nd body? If you're not a professional shooter, I suggest you load off the D60 and invest in lenses instead.

Anyway, I see you have an FZ18, do join us over at our thread =) search my post. We have an FZ18 group (or even for ex users) thats pretty warm.

use neck strap only you want to sling the camera, when you hold your camera for shooting, use your right or left hand to make a loop on the neck strap, this is much secure than wear it over your neck.

like this

[vid]EDsx3-FWfwk[/vid]

Haha, 2 bodies? Do you really need the 2nd body? If you're not a professional shooter, I suggest you load off the D60 and invest in lenses instead.

Anyway, I see you have an FZ18, do join us over at our thread =) search my post. We have an FZ18 group (or even for ex users) thats pretty warm.

1 body for walkabout shoot.
1 body for IR landscape.

seriously, when ur mind is focused on taking a good photo, all these heaviness & strap getting in the way will not cause a problem. ur body will automatically overcome them :bsmilie:

seriously, when ur mind is focused on taking a good photo, all these heaviness & strap getting in the way will not cause a problem. ur body will automatically overcome them :bsmilie:

Fully agree, When you are fully focus on the subjects... even the second body which sling on your shoulder become one with your body... :sweat: It kind of getting use to the handling... my dept use a Canon 400D with battery grip fully 'glued' on it... and I can not choose the option of taking it out because both the camera and the battery grip are quote as one single item... so i got no choice but to get use to the strap and the grip...

Last edited:
use neck strap only you want to sling the camera, when you hold your camera for shooting, use your right or left hand to make a loop on the neck strap, this is much secure than wear it over your neck.

like this

[vid]EDsx3-FWfwk[/vid]

Good video.

Actually with the Vertical grip, I sometimes rest my camera completely on my left shoulder (i'm left eye) and turn my head 90 degrees to shoot. Also gives you a better standing posture (perpendicular). Sort of like an Air Rifle shooting posture.

Tat day i went to a home for children, the kids were so naughty and rude. Keep asking me to show them the pic on my lcd. Then got 1 kid keep slapping my front lens. Lucky i got put filter, at most clean the fingerprints. Then while i'm not aware, he came from the side and push me. Lucky i'm holding tight to camera with the strap around my neck and i didn't fell down. So to play safe, i better use the strap all the time.

Tat day i went to a home for children, the kids were so naughty and rude. Keep asking me to show them the pic on my lcd. Then got 1 kid keep slapping my front lens. Lucky i got put filter, at most clean the fingerprints. Then while i'm not aware, he came from the side and push me. Lucky i'm holding tight to camera with the strap around my neck and i didn't fell down. So to play safe, i better use the strap all the time.

Well, you know your answer already. =)

Usually I will scold the kits who dare lay a finger on my filter. And my hood will always be on anyway. But this is going OT. Haha.

I don't see how doing the cross loop thing around the left hand is safer than hanging over the neck though. If the camera drop, the cross loop is going to give a torque to the camera, won't that be more dangerous?

1. No
2. No
3. No

I use the neckstrap precisely because I don't want the camera to be dropped. Having the neck strap on my neck, there is virtually no way the cam will drop, unless I fall down.

When doing vertical shots, yes the straps will cross each other. But my straps are loose enough and they don't hinder me a bit.

Try it yourself and you will know. Then you do it the way you like.

very simple, just rise your hands with the camera up high most of the time, the parents of the kids will lock them up in no time after seeing you doing this.

very simple, just rise your hands with the camera up high most of the time, the parents of the kids will lock them up in no time after seeing you doing this.

No wor, not all kids are so well trained. Some are persistant and beat and knock you until you let them see the photo :angry: Make lots of trouble.

Oops OT. There is why use neckstrap, kids got no way of taking it off.

No wor, not all kids are so well trained. Some are persistant and beat and knock you until you let them see the photo :angry: Make lots of trouble.

Why not bluff them say your cam is older model, dun have preview functions? Haha!

this is to show to their parents in an indirect way of their children are misbehaving, guess you still don't get it or either their parents are very insensitive and inconsiderate.

Status
Not open for further replies.