Using sw150 with system adaptor

tanjonhan

Oct 18, 2006
Hi guys, am considering using the 170x150mm filters on a 77mm thread lens with the help of the sw150 system adaptor. My concerns however are as follow:

1) unlike the 14-24mm, the 77mm diameter is much smaller. Does the nd grad transitions lose its effectiveness considering the smaller area for the 77mm diameter? (Eg. The 77mm not able to take in the full transition)

2) anyone with real life experience to share or have had the opportunity to compare the transitions? (Does the extra 10mm on the nd and clear side make that big a difference?)

Thank you much.

quick question... why do you want to use the sw150 on a 77mm thread lens?

1) is quite a valid point, cause it's like putting the 100mm square filters for DSLR on m43 system, when you should be using the se7en series for the mini lenses.

Only if you plan to get a 14-24 in future I feel. I have the SW150 + 77mm adapter but haven't tried the system on the 24-70 yet.

I don't really want to spend money just to get the 100mm holder, need less to say I don't be experiencing the big stopper anytime soon. Pity.

quick question... why do you want to use the sw150 on a 77mm thread lens?

So that I don't have to spend $$ on a new set of holders and filters for the 24-70. It may be bulkier but since I started out with the sw150, trying to see if its practical to do so.

So that I don't have to spend $$ on a new set of holders and filters for the 24-70. It may be bulkier but since I started out with the sw150, trying to see if its practical to do so.

So how are you going to mount the sw150 to the 24-70? And of course, you do know that the type of filters available for the sw150 are very limited, apart from being ridiculously expensive.

Okie maybe I wasn't detailed enough.
I already have the sw150. I already have the 77mm adaptor ring. I already have the conversion adaptor for the sw150. I already have a
3 stop reverse grad, 3 stop nd grad and a 10 stop nd which is not really usable (all for sw150).

So, as I was asking, Does anyone have experience using 150 filters on 77mm lenses and can give comments whether it's acceptable? (to be explicit again, I am asking cause I can't try myself)

Okie maybe I wasn't detailed enough.
I already have the sw150. I already have the 77mm adaptor ring. I already have the conversion adaptor for the sw150. I already have a
3 stop reverse grad, 3 stop nd grad and a 10 stop nd which is not really usable (all for sw150).

So, as I was asking, Does anyone have experience using 150 filters on 77mm lenses and can give comments whether it's acceptable? (to be explicit again, I am asking cause I can't try myself)

They will work the same. The transition is the same.

Thanks are you speaking from experience? Cause based on my guess, the smaller 150x100 have
The transition over 75mm (half of 150mm) whereas the 170x150 have it at 85mm. Thus my thoughts were with tt 1cm diff, does it affect the effect in the picture or will the transition be more abrupt (think this prob will be more pronounced for reverse grads)

Thanks are you speaking from experience? Cause based on my guess, the smaller 150x100 have
The transition over 75mm (half of 150mm) whereas the 170x150 have it at 85mm. Thus my thoughts were with tt 1cm diff, does it affect the effect in the picture or will the transition be more abrupt (think this prob will be more pronounced for reverse grads)

The effect is very negligible. Actually a wider graduation is better, which is why in the past, many folks prefer the Hitech Grads over the Lee Grads. But then again, the difference is not that much.

R u referring to the nd grad?
If it is the soft type then no issue.

sorry may i check where u got the 10 stop nd for sw150? been trying to find one for my 14-24 heh

Try calling TKphoto to check.
You can also place order with them but need some deposit.

sorry may i check where u got the 10 stop nd for sw150? been trying to find one for my 14-24 heh

Honestly doesn't really work well as what has been mentioned in other forums.

anyway i just got to try the reverse grad on the 77mm diameter lens. Basically a no go as the dark to lite effect from the middle is totally not visible (its effective a full dark)

Honestly doesn't really work well as what has been mentioned in other forums.

anyway i just got to try the reverse grad on the 77mm diameter lens. Basically a no go as the dark to lite effect from the middle is totally not visible (its effective a full dark)

Can post the result.
I hoping to get the 85mm reverse nd too