Using Speedlite flash as Strobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Hi.... newbie here. I now own a Canon EOS 400D. Plan to get a '10bar' U/W casing for it next year, or when kena Toto.... whichever come 1st ;) . I found that Ikelite casing is more expensive then 10bar.... but also that 10bar sells a U/W casing for Canon own ''Speedlite 580 EX flashlight"..... This seems a better choice for me, since i could use the Speedlite on both land & sea, while a U/W Strobe is impossible to use on land.

A few question....

1) Does anyone here owns such a setup ??
2) Do you like such a setup ?? Why ??
3) Anyone thinks that Ikelite is the better choice ?? Why ??
4) Anyone knows the next winning toto or 4D num...... care to share ?? :D

Thxs for any info :cool:

EX580-Perspective---10bar-w.jpg

Test Pressure -----
10 Bar (300 ft.) Housings are individually tested
Closure Design -----
Air Lock
Body Material -----
Polycarbonate
Overall Size -----
150x110x210mm (LxWxH)
Total Weight -----
Approximately 830g (Housing only)
Buoyancy (with Flash) -----
Approximately neutral in salt water

would they be mutually exclusive? as in ikelite housing cannot use the 10bar flash housing? don't think so right?

i would still prefer a dedicated u/w strobe...mainly because the risk of flooding is rather high since it works like a camera housing. u/w strobes usually have separate battery compartments, so even with a flood, its not a total write-off.

i'm not very sure what the 580 angle of coverage is like underwater, so you might want to check that as well.

oh, and i think a ikelite DS51 is cheaper than the 580 flash + housing as well.

if you're just starting out, maybe get a cheaper flash for land photography, and a u/w strobe? the 430 and 550 are great buys for amateurs like me. can't afford to splurge $600+ on a flash that i use only occassionally. think it might actually work out to be about the same price!

580 ($680) + housing (about 300+ i think? not sure) = 1.1k
DS51 (US$400 = $600) + EX550 (about $400 2nd hand) = 1k

still, it'll be cool to be able to use the focus assist light on the 580 in low-light shots. do let us know how it turns out!

would they be mutually exclusive? as in ikelite housing cannot use the 10bar flash housing? don't think so right?

i would still prefer a dedicated u/w strobe...mainly because the risk of flooding is rather high since it works like a camera housing. u/w strobes usually have separate battery compartments, so even with a flood, its not a total write-off.

i'm not very sure what the 580 angle of coverage is like underwater, so you might want to check that as well.

oh, and i think a ikelite DS51 is cheaper than the 580 flash + housing as well.

if you're just starting out, maybe get a cheaper flash for land photography, and a u/w strobe? the 430 and 550 are great buys for amateurs like me. can't afford to splurge $600+ on a flash that i use only occassionally. think it might actually work out to be about the same price!

580 ($680) + housing (about 300+ i think? not sure) = 1.1k
DS51 (US$400 = $600) + EX550 (about $400 2nd hand) = 1k

still, it'll be cool to be able to use the focus assist light on the 580 in low-light shots. do let us know how it turns out!

hahaha.... unless u know the winning num to the next 4D or ToTo...... the wait will be looong in coming.

I just like the idea that i could use the 580 EX on land as well as sea. And the casing of the 580 EX is still link with the camera using a sync-cord. Not 'fixed' onto the camera's U/W casing. So don't think flooding will happen to the camera...... unless both casing flood together :D

oh, what i meant was that there's a risk of the flash being flooded as well since the flash housing design is similar to a camera housing. ie: two pieces of polycarb with 1 o-ring. less likely to survive a flood than a normal u/w strobe.

oh, what i meant was that there's a risk of the flash being flooded as well since the flash housing design is similar to a camera housing. ie: two pieces of polycarb with 1 o-ring. less likely to survive a flood than a normal u/w strobe.

OIC..... thxs for the pointer :D But the reward of a Great U/W shot is always worth the Risk. hahaha. I hope kena ToTo real soon !!

One more thing about land flashes is that they are usually less powerful than dedicated underwater strobes so likely not much use other than macro shots.

One more thing about land flashes is that they are usually less powerful than dedicated underwater strobes so likely not much use other than macro shots.

Thxs... I didn't know about that. But since I do like 80% Macro and few 'wide angle' shots. Don't really think its a problem. But I agree that it would really really limits my choices of photo taking. Thxs for the Info. ;)

Thxs... I didn't know about that. But since I do like 80% Macro and few 'wide angle' shots. Don't really think its a problem. But I agree that it would really really limits my choices of photo taking. Thxs for the Info. ;)
bro, that's what i thought too...i always thought of myself as a macro person.

then i tried out WA shots and i'm hooked! realised i was always into macro cos the P&S i was using can't do WA for nuts (39mm equivalent..how wide is that?), and i didn't have a strobe.

will be uploading my sipadan shots soon...seems like 75% of them are WA shots!
((=

bro, that's what i thought too...i always thought of myself as a macro person.

then i tried out WA shots and i'm hooked! realised i was always into macro cos the P&S i was using can't do WA for nuts (39mm equivalent..how wide is that?), and i didn't have a strobe.

will be uploading my sipadan shots soon...seems like 75% of them are WA shots!
((=

Great !! Thxs for the info.

Hi.... newbie here. I now own a Canon EOS 400D. Plan to get a '10bar' U/W casing for it next year, or when kena Toto.... whichever come 1st ;) . I found that Ikelite casing is more expensive then 10bar.... but also that 10bar sells a U/W casing for Canon own ''Speedlite 580 EX flashlight"..... This seems a better choice for me, since i could use the Speedlite on both land & sea, while a U/W Strobe is impossible to use on land.

A few question....

1) Does anyone here owns such a setup ??
2) Do you like such a setup ?? Why ??
3) Anyone thinks that Ikelite is the better choice ?? Why ??
4) Anyone knows the next winning toto or 4D num...... care to share ?? :D

Thxs for any info :cool:

EX580-Perspective---10bar-w.jpg

Test Pressure -----
10 Bar (300 ft.) Housings are individually tested
Closure Design -----
Air Lock
Body Material -----
Polycarbonate
Overall Size -----
150x110x210mm (LxWxH)
Total Weight -----
Approximately 830g (Housing only)
Buoyancy (with Flash) -----
Approximately neutral in salt water
Hey diver-hloc,

I'm also planning to get the 10bar housing for my EOS400D and for the Speedlite 580EX II, so I am very interested to hear any comments to your questions or learn from the experience of anyone with the same set up. I've been told that 10bar housing for the 580EX II will be available next week.

Hey diver-hloc,

I'm also planning to get the 10bar housing for my EOS400D and for the Speedlite 580EX II, so I am very interested to hear any comments to your questions or learn from the experience of anyone with the same set up. I've been told that 10bar housing for the 580EX II will be available next week.

Hahaha.... i could hardly afford such a setup now or in the near future. Just too many things to settle now. Hopefully YOU will be the one telling me about the setup. Goodluck. :D

Hi,

I am thinking of setting up a housing for my 400D + lens + 580EX II. Can anyone care to share withe me which housing I should be getting and where can I buy the housing?

Thanks.

with your current equipment setup, it's a matter of time that you start to think about having 2 strobes. In that case, i would rather have 2 strobes than 2 speedlites.

with your current equipment setup, it's a matter of time that you start to think about having 2 strobes. In that case, i would rather have 2 strobes than 2 speedlites.

Wow... the cost of 2 strobe would kill your bank account...... But i agree that 2 strobe would be better...... the problem is even affording one ;)

Wow.... just found out from ScubaCam that the casing for the Canon 580EX Speedlite cost $450 USD !! thats about $700 SGD !! Not incl the need cable to sync with your camera or the Speedlite itself (2nd handed one cost at least $600SGD). So, the whole time will be something like $850 ++ just for the casing..... or $1.4K with a 2nd handed Speedlite.

Wow.... at that price, I might as well get a 'real' U/W strobe. That would cost only slightly more than $1.2K

Status
Not open for further replies.