Using sony nex fs700 as "high speed camera" for slow motion capturing?

NewbieInCS

Jun 11, 2009
Singapore
Been looking for a budget high speed camera for slow motion capturing. Need about 500fps. Considering that it is just 1/4 the price, the sony fs700 seems to be a good budget alternative to the entry level cameras from typical high speed camera brands.

However, I wonder what sort of shutter speed are we looking at at 480fps on the fs700? Will it still be able to do the rated 1/10000s at 480fps?

May I know if anyone has successfully used the fs700 as a high speed camera replacement?

Does sony provide any tethering/post processing/data transfer software suite like the typical high speed cameras from photron and phantom?

I am sorry but what are you gonna do with 480fps??? Are you planning to do research??? And usually we don't crank up the shutter speed up to 1/10000s those are for ballistic testing are you testing a weapon???? ;p just double the shutter speed it'll be fine... Letsay shooting @ 480fps shutter speed should be 1/1000 nothing lesser

what sort of resolutions do you need? Olympus also have a series of high speed industrial grade cameras at a decent price compared to the likes of Phantoms... but the price escalates the moment you need to increase frame rate speed & capture resolution.

Faiz is right...stating your usage & applications for high speed acquisition is an important deciding factor.

yes, it is for research work.

I am not doing impact or ballistic, but for those test, 480fps and 1/10000s will probably not tell you much.

Already arranged for a demo session with sony.

DXNMedia, do you know the typical price of the olympus high speed camera?

Olympus have a nice motion camera industrial grade and i think it suits for research as you have ample time to cut out the clip on camera to a CF card... And dump it straight to your workflow.... Maybe you can ask from olympus to give you a demo as i had tested the demo before... Like dixon says its industrial grade not industry grade hehehehe.....

Olympus have a nice motion camera industrial grade and i think it suits for research as you have ample time to cut out the clip on camera to a CF card... And dump it straight to your workflow.... Maybe you can ask from olympus to give you a demo as i had tested the demo before... Like dixon says its industrial grade not industry grade hehehehe.....

Do you have a rough idea of the price for entry level? If close to phantom or photron, then no point liao, coz I saw the olympus one like not very small in size.

On the phantom and photron that I am using right now, the camera captures the footage and it gets transmitted to the computer instantenously. There is no writing time involved. The cutting will then be done on PC and the file can be saved after that. It is just like tethering shot with dslr. I assume the olympus works the same way?

Am not too sure regarding price bro... From what i experience with the olympus its not definitely small compared to the photron or phantom flex... And its ergonomics is kinda funny and it have a touch screen monitor... Its weird that you have to dump out... My guess is there is an internal cache inbuilt than play back from the point that you want and press some button and it get transfered to a cf card... And you have to dump it out asap as it couldn't record anything above 30s if i am not mistaken.... There are a lot of ultra motion camera in the market which have different use at a different kinda needs... Ikegami,sony,photron,phantom and idt diablo.... Am sure there is a solution to your needs... But price point of fs 700 is really the highlight... But not too sure for your usage....

I can't remember the exact price point for Olympus, but I recall that it's definitely cheaper than the Photron Fastcam series that can only do up to 720x576 PAL res at 2000fps......I may be wrong coz the last time i checked into high speed cams are about 3 years ago....do contact Olympus directly.

Last edited:
NewbieInCS said:
Do you have a rough idea of the price for entry level? If close to phantom or photron, then no point liao, coz I saw the olympus one like not very small in size.

On the phantom and photron that I am using right now, the camera captures the footage and it gets transmitted to the computer instantenously. There is no writing time involved. The cutting will then be done on PC and the file can be saved after that. It is just like tethering shot with dslr. I assume the olympus works the same way?

If you are using the high speed cams for scientific observation, I don't think you will find the fS700 useful because it doesn't use a global shutter. So if your subject is moving faster than the scan rate, you can really risk skewing (jello effect) your images.

The Olympus high speed camera allows you to trim the recorded video immediately after you have recorded the videos and save only the trimmed videos into the CF card. If you're interested in trying out the camera, just let me know and we can arrange to bring the camera over to your side to try is out.

How much fps are you looking at for your research?