Using shoot-thru umbrella for family group shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to do a family group shots for about 18 people. Location is both indoor and outdoor. All I have is 1 speedlite, 1 lightstand, 1 shoot-thru umbrella and PWs. Is it possible to light evenly all the family members with just 1 umbrella on one of my sides? Where should I place my lightstand for the best results? Do I need another umbrella to cover both my left and right side?

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to do a family group shots for about 18 people. Location is both indoor and outdoor. All I have is 1 speedlite, 1 lightstand, 1 shoot-thru umbrella and PWs. Is it possible to light evenly all the family members with just 1 umbrella on one of my sides? Where should I place my lightstand for the best results? Do I need another umbrella to cover both my left and right side?

Thanks in advance guys!

From the light physics, if you light only on one side, it won't be even. The only chance it will work is when you light from the top centre, even then the sides will lose out in terms of the light loss.

Would be best if you could have 2 lights to work with.

put it bluntly, you set up is too small and too weak to feather the light from a side and get even lighting.

so to get even lighting with your set up, you need all the subject having the same distant from the light source.

and the easier way is to place your light above your camera. but the light will far off rapidly at both sides if you are placing the light too close to your subjects.

hope this help.

So in summary, I must have 2 light source at both my sides to have even lighting right?

best light from both sides..maybe u can rent an extra speedlight?

Ideally. Unless your indoor location has sufficient ambient light, then your sole flash could be used as fill?
I would definitely expect light falloff on the sides.

If there's really no way you can get another flash, I'd just shoot in raw and hope to correct it in post.

Check this out for some ideas: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/05/on-assignment-two-speedlight-group-shot.html

one light = one shadow
two lights = two shadow

cross lights = cross shadow

so see what you want your lighting set up to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.