Using PPC as a Image Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joyfulcity

Jul 24, 2002
www.joyfulcity.com
Hi,

Has there been anybody who uses their Pocket PC as a Image Tank?

I've thought about bringing a laptop, with a external USB harddisk, but my laptop would really be heavy and cumbersome, since I don't have those ultra-portables.

I have read from dpreview, that there are people who use an IPAQ with a dual PC card sleeve, than use 1 PCMCIA-CF converter and than connect a external PCMCIA harddisk to get the ultimate Image Tank? Ridiculous? I guess if the guy already has a PPC and the Sleeve lying around it should be a good solution. It is also affectionately called the "brick" hee no need to explain right?

Anyway.... there is also another solution from www.imagetank.com.sg, this does seem to be a cheap alternative, but the contraption seems to be very filmsy to me. Furthermore there have also been problems with quality of the battery packs . The image tank also only allows upload through the CF/SD cards and it can't be used as an external harddisk, such a waste yah?

Anyway if there are better alternatives to store images into external storage do share okie :)

Ciaos.

how abt products from Vosonic??

B8817079703.jpg

http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vmp3h.html

This version have LCD for u to view your picture...u can even store your MP3 or Mpeg-1 movie into the HDD and use it to listen to music or movie anywhere!

it is abt 449g (including HDD)
and size is 15.4cm x 9.2cm x 4.6cm

Vosonic's marketing department have emailed me the price....it is US$175 + shipping and HDD not included, which is abt S$300 and u still need to get a notebook HDD

if u dun want LCD, u can try out
vp2030.jpeg

http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp2030.html

it can read 6 different media, no adpater required, and using Li-ion batteries! Dimensions: 13 x 7.5 x 2.5cm Weight: 288g (including HDD)

price i dunno

The image tank according to the imagetank site is selling for $259, the vosonic's offerings looks very attractive indeed @ S$300 and probably handling & shipping at around $30-50?

you planning to order it kamwai?

http://www.printamax.com.sg/pix/imagetank.jpg

Originally posted by kamwai

B8817079703.jpg

This version have LCD for u to view your picture...u can even store your MP3 or Mpeg-1 movie into the HDD and use it to listen to music or movie anywhere!

Vosonic's marketing department have emailed me the price....it is US$175 + shipping and HDD not included, which is abt S$300 and u still need to get a notebook HDD

Actually the Image Tank CAN be used as an external hard disk. You connect it to your computer using a USB cord. A bit slow, but useful for porting large files around.

B8817079703.jpg

vp2030.jpeg

it can read 6 different media, no adpater required, and using Li-ion batteries! Dimensions: 13 x 7.5 x 2.5cm Weight: 288g (including HDD)

price i dunno

IS it available locally??? Anyone planning for a MO ? :)

I've just emailed Vosonic on the x-drive for the pricing, I think it's still not available yet. However, it does seem to have good potential... but it would have been better if they decided to come out with a usb2.0 or firewire version! :)

vp2030.jpeg

price i dunno

Woo that's cool, I've used those USB1.1 external hdd casing, the speed is not that bad.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Actually the Image Tank CAN be used as an external hard disk. You connect it to your computer using a USB cord. A bit slow, but useful for porting large files around.

i actually wanted to get one sample for review

so i contacted the marketing manager, then she told me that there is no distributor here in Singapore, and ask if i can help her to "distribute" these product here

i dunno what is the minimum amont to order, may be those who are intested can leave your name in this post, while i contact the manufacturer again?

so i contacted the marketing manager, then she told me that there is no distributor here in Singapore, and ask if i can help her to "distribute" these product here

i dunno what is the minimum amont to order, may be those who are intested can leave your name in this post, while i contact the manufacturer again?

Maybe u can check with Darren whether he want to distribute this product. I think there is potential for this product.

Darren, Sorry to mention your name.
it's just a suggestion. Since you are distributing the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, maybe u can add this to your product line.

Rgds,
extreme2

...it can read 6 different media, no adpater required, and using Li-ion batteries! Dimensions: 13 x 7.5 x 2.5cm Weight: 288g (including HDD)

price i dunno
6 different media types? Does that include the memory stick? Should right? Off the top of my head I can only think of 4 types of storage digital cameras use...

I think if priced reasonably the xdrive does have potential. I tremble at the thought of having 30Gig of space to store my images :)

Oh 6 types, are CF, CFII, SD, MMC, Smart Media, Memory Stick

Originally posted by qhelix

6 different media types? Does that include the memory stick? Should right? Off the top of my head I can only think of 4 types of storage digital cameras use...

Handsup. me interested in the xdrive.

Check with her the requirement of being a distributor. I think we can all pool money into setting up our first photography lover company. If it earns money, then it will help us lower the cost of keeping this hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.