Using photos from books

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
I will be going to do some old photos infront of the current area after cny. I also got some old books with Singapore photos. So, if I take the book and capture the image on the book with the current location, the outcome photo, can it be consider mine (copyright)? I hopes you can understand what I means, I don't want to get into any trouble of claiming the new photo are mine with someone work in it.

Based on some past ruling I read about:
The pictures in the book are under under copyright of the book releasing company and / or the photographer. Therefore, any usage of the pictures (regardless whether you scan it or just snap with handphone) falls under copyright regulations and laws.
Even if the image itself (e.g a painting) is already free of royalties (usually after 70 or more years after the creator has passed away), the print within the book is still protected by copyright. Therefore, you can't just copy / scan / snap it and use it.
But: if you just stand in Orchard Rd with a book in your hand showing the picture of Orchard Rd 50 years ago then it could be fine since the book itself is small and it only represents a minor part of your image.
If in doubt, consult a lawyer for copyright. A small fee compared to the legal fees in court.

Reactions: kei1309 and BBTM
Another question, if I created another piece of art from an art, example like those iLight show, I created another image. The final image belongs to the original owner or me?

Another question, if I created another piece of art from an art, example like those iLight show, I created another image. The final image belongs to the original owner or me?
Again, see above: If in doubt, consult a lawyer for copyright. A small fee compared to the legal fees in court.
My laymen's onion: if the the art performance was in public and there was no restriction on photography or video recording then you can use the material for your own, non-commercial purposes - provided that you always state the origin (artist, event) of the underlying image.
For anything that can be considered commercial or related (e.g. your portfolio to attract contracts and customers) or in the event that you want to submit the final image to any competition or showcase, you should contact the artist or their legal representation.

Reactions: BBTM
I will be going to do some old photos infront of the current area after cny. I also got some old books with Singapore photos. So, if I take the book and capture the image on the book with the current location, the outcome photo, can it be consider mine (copyright)? I hopes you can understand what I means, I don't want to get into any trouble of claiming the new photo are mine with someone work in it.

I hope I understand you correctly.
Say you've an old photo of the National Museum. You get to the exact same location to take the same photo, I don't think you would have copyright issue.

I hope I understand you correctly.
Say you've an old photo of the National Museum. You get to the exact same location to take the same photo, I don't think you would have copyright issue.

My image would be having the old photo too, showing off the differences. There are people showing photos of now and then of certain locations but mostly are own by them, not taken by someone else.