Using perspective control lenses or super wide angle + PS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Perspective control lenses are very expensive, and the widest available is 24 or 28mm..

Right now, for things i shoot, i use a 12-24mm super wide angle, and found that most of the time i'm actually shooting at 12mm! Then after that, i will do the following:

- make several guide-lines at key locations on the picture
- minor rotation (if necessary)
- skew

However sometimes for example when it's a picture of a tall building, and i'm standing at ground level not too far away from it; When i do 'skew', the top of the building looks larger in proportion to the middle and lower portion.. What other amendments or additions can i make to my workflow? Or must i get a PC lens? :cry:

behyx said:
Perspective control lenses are very expensive, and the widest available is 24 or 28mm..

Right now, for things i shoot, i use a 12-24mm super wide angle, and found that most of the time i'm actually shooting at 12mm! Then after that, i will do the following:

- make several guide-lines at key locations on the picture
- minor rotation (if necessary)
- skew

However sometimes for example when it's a picture of a tall building, and i'm standing at ground level not too far away from it; When i do 'skew', the top of the building looks larger in proportion to the middle and lower portion.. What other amendments or additions can i make to my workflow? Or must i get a PC lens? :cry:
1. Get a wide angle which can cover the whole building with your camera level and just crop.

Or 2. Some software can correct perspective quite well, eg GIMP. You can try that to see if it's better than the skew you're using.

lsisaxon said:
1. Get a wide angle which can cover the whole building with your camera level and just crop.

Or 2. Some software can correct perspective quite well, eg GIMP. You can try that to see if it's better than the skew you're using.

Ah! Never know such software exist! hehe :) Need a software that can correct perspective well and less time consuming.
However it seems GIMP is only for PCs? I'm using Mac..

selling my 24shift/tilt lens can solve your problems!:)

they are not that expensive plus you can shift to shoot 3 images to form into one super long image!!! X pan style 3:1 ratio. I cannot pose any pictures on line as the copyright is sold but you can meet up to take a look.:)

i'm shamless hahaha!:bsmilie:

behyx said:
Ah! Never know such software exist! hehe :) Need a software that can correct perspective well and less time consuming.
However it seems GIMP is only for PCs? I'm using Mac..
I don't know how well this works compared to the Windows version. But since GIMP is GNU open source ware and originally written for Linux, it has been ported to Windows and MacOSX also.
http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

from what i understand a lil...

imagine in a big hall, u see the last seat smaller than the seat infront of you. but with this lens, last and front seat the same size....

gernie said:

imagine in a big hall, u see the last seat smaller than the seat infront of you. but with this lens, last and front seat the same size....
Are you sure?

Photoshop > Filter > Distort > Lens Correction should be a great first step.

P.S. You may get more help (attention) by posting in the 'Digital Darkroom' forum.

gernie said:

I'm not too sure of what you are talking about, but i have a scenario here:

Shooting a 2 storey building at close proximity with a super wide angle lens, will result in the top part of the picture being narrowed in. So when i use photoshop (skew tool) to make the vertical lines of the building vertically straight, the 2nd storey of the building seems to be larger in size.. Pardon me if my scenario is not good enough.

So how i tackle this situation is to stand as far as i can, and shoot at 24mm instead of 12mm, to reduce the distortion.

But if i don't have the space to move so far, will a PC lens be better?

try increase the height where you stand if possible, change the location if need to.
this way, may not get to shoot the angle you want, but may get something you didnt expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.