Using Nikon F manual lens on Pentax K-R

awesomesther

Jan 2, 2011
Singapore
awesomesther.com
Hi,

I just got myself a Pentax K-R from CS. I have Nikon manual lenses, wondering if anyone has any experience using these on a Pentax DSLR. Any experience please share.

And if I wanna get the adapter to convert the mount, what should I look out for?

Thanks in advance!

Placing an adapter will degrade the quality of the pictures taken. Sell the Nikon lenses off and invest in Pentax lenses.

Placing an adapter will degrade the quality of the pictures taken. Sell the Nikon lenses off and invest in Pentax lenses.

HAHAHA! I like this answer, but I guess I won't sell the Nikon off yet. Cos I still have the Nikon body.

I do have the SMC-M 50 f2 Pentax. May I ask if I can stop down the aperture on the K-R? Cos I seem to find no difference in the DoF when I fiddled with the aperture ring on the lens :(

Do I need the SMC-A version to be able to stop down or there is any trick I can use?

Thanks!

yes, you need the A version to control aperture by camera.
i think the M lens aperture stays wide open even you stop down.

HAHAHA! I like this answer, but I guess I won't sell the Nikon off yet. Cos I still have the Nikon body.

I do have the SMC-M 50 f2 Pentax. May I ask if I can stop down the aperture on the K-R? Cos I seem to find no difference in the DoF when I fiddled with the aperture ring on the lens :(

Do I need the SMC-A version to be able to stop down or there is any trick I can use?

Thanks!

Go to setting, set the green button to Optical Preview, then press down green button, it will do the DOF preview for you, (as that is what you intend to do the stop down effect)

Thanks!

to shoot stopped down using M lenses, you have to set the camera to M mode, control the aperture using the aperture ring, press the green button to meter. the camera will stop the lens down briefly, take a meter reading and open up again. when you press the shutter it will stop down to your set aperture. you'll need to turn on some custom settings though.

if you shoot it in Av mode, the lens will always shoot wide-open regardless of the aperture ring position

just get the A version, it's much more convenient, although the build quality isn't as good and the aperture ring might become faulty over time. but you can just lock it at the A position and forget about it

to shoot stopped down using M lenses, you have to set the camera to M mode, control the aperture using the aperture ring, press the green button to meter. the camera will stop the lens down briefly, take a meter reading and open up again. when you press the shutter it will stop down to your set aperture. you'll need to turn on some custom settings though.

if you shoot it in Av mode, the lens will always shoot wide-open regardless of the aperture ring position

just get the A version, it's much more convenient, although the build quality isn't as good and the aperture ring might become faulty over time. but you can just lock it at the A position and forget about it

Ok thanks!!! I will go try it in M mode. :D

Greetings, new member here :)

You could try, I've done the same with a adapter. I've posted the same picture in the 'show us your Pentax thread'.

frankenstienpentax.jpg

It's got a correction lens to compensate for the added distance. The glass is no where photographic, so it will flare like crazy outdoors. Indoors its still usable though. You could remove the glass and it will perform as a macro extension.

Regards,

@Wei Jen your white k-r looks lovely! I like shooting outdoors, I've gotten my hands on the DAL 18-55 and 50-200 so its all good now. Most likely skipping the idea of using Nikon lenses on the K-R (for now, at least)

:) thanks for all the replies!

Most Nikon MF lenses have provisions to off-set the focus to some extent.
This will allow you to focus to infinity on adaptors without optics.
The process is reversible so it can be adjusted back if you decided to use it with Nikon body

Most Nikon MF lenses have provisions to off-set the focus to some extent.
This will allow you to focus to infinity on adaptors without optics.
The process is reversible so it can be adjusted back if you decided to use it with Nikon body

Ah... Interesting fact, thanks for the tip. I know who to look for if I wanna mod my lenses. Thanks fatigue !

That's an interesting note from Fatigue. I hope there's enough allowance because the adapter is thick, about 2cm. By the way. This Nikkor lens is a macro one. So, with a macro extension, it becomes SUPER macro, almost like a microscope. I use it primarily to scan film :D

That's an interesting note from Fatigue. I hope there's enough allowance because the adapter is thick, about 2cm. By the way. This Nikkor lens is a macro one. So, with a macro extension, it becomes SUPER macro, almost like a microscope. I use it primarily to scan film :D

Yes you're right, the adaptor is too thick. It's too thick because it was intended to be use with built in optics. If someone will make a slim adaptor (the oardinary type) plus the actual focal plance distance difference between F mont and PK mount ( ~1mm) then adjustent should definitely be possible :)