Using ND filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
Hi Guys,

Just tried using a GND filter to capture our merlion. I managed to extend the shutter speed to 6 secs so that the water flow from the merlion looks silky. However, the sky turns purple due to the filter. How do I overcome that? Thanks

Here's the pic:
2461971974_d9b9ec0a97_b.jpg

Lovely photo!
From what I have seen this is characteristic of GND filters because of the gradiated effect on the exposure. In the "darker" region of the filter you will get a more normal exposure of the sky (hence the blue), and the "lighter" transition phase of the filter will gradually over-expose the sky making it so light. Appart from layering in photoshop, I'm not sure what you can do here. Did you use a hard or soft GND? :)

Lovely photo!
From what I have seen this is characteristic of GND filters because of the gradiated effect on the exposure. In the "darker" region of the filter you will get a more normal exposure of the sky (hence the blue), and the "lighter" transition phase of the filter will gradually over-expose the sky making it so light. Appart from layering in photoshop, I'm not sure what you can do here. Did you use a hard or soft GND? :)
yea I believe it's because it is a Graduated ND, meaning the shade of the filter coat changes across the filter gradually. maybe you could try ordinary ND filters?

Wow nice pic.. did u use a Cokin Grad ND?

You can add a grad blue filter. Or you can cool your color temp.

BTW, you may want to get lower speeds so that the water surface bcomes glassy. Like 15 sec.

Thanks guys..

I'm using the cokin filter holder and a cheapo china made GND from OP.
Will try 15 secs next time when got chance.. any wanna join me? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.