Using my tamron 18-200 on full frame

Myriad

May 6, 2013
Singapore
Hi, I upgraded my body to a Canon 6D and I have a tamron 18-200 F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD from my older set-up. I was wondering - can the tamron 18-200 be used on full frame? I tried mounting it on and it fits right in, but I haven't tried shooting with it because my batteries are still charging. I tried googling but I can't find any solid answer.

Is it safe to use the lens? Will it damage my camera in any way? Thank you. :)

No, there will be no damage in any way as long as the lens mount is meant for the camera.

You will experience massive vignetting.

If the lens is being made for a crop- sensor, it protrudes deeper into the camera body. So when inserted into a full-frame camera, the camera having a bigger mirror(as compared to aps-c body),might hit the lens

One exception is the tokina 11-16mm, I have used it on my fullframe without that problem. The only setback is that I can only use it at the 16mm side

Last edited:
Alright! I researched on it and they kept repeating that "it is meant to be used on APS-C sensors".

No, there will be no damage in any way as long as the lens mount is meant for the camera.

You will experience massive vignetting.

Alright! I researched on it and they kept repeating that "it is meant to be used on APS-C sensors".

I did a quick google and found out that mainly the canon EF-S lenses have the protruding lens issue. So Your tamron 18-200 may work on your 6d( less the vignetting issues). Just like my tokina 11-16 on my 5d

Maybe you'll like to find out more before you hit the shutter button

I checked my Tamron lens and the back element doesn't protrude unlike the EF-S lenses, but I'm still skeptical before putting it in again and snapping. Thanks photo art! Will check and read more reviews first.

I did a quick google and found out that mainly the canon EF-S lenses have the protruding lens issue. So Your tamron 18-200 may work on your 6d( less the vignetting issues). Just like my tokina 11-16 on my 5d

Maybe you'll like to find out more before you hit the shutter button

I checked my Tamron lens and the back element doesn't protrude unlike the EF-S lenses, but I'm still skeptical before putting it in again and snapping. Thanks photo art! Will check and read more reviews first.
Hold the lens side by side to your kit lens, compare the position of the electrical contacts and the position of the back elements when zooming in and out. If the back element of Tamron does not extend further than the back of the EF-S lens (grey plastic ring) then it's fine. In many cases (note: not all), the third party lenses do not extend like EF-S lenses. Using them on FF cameras is technically possible. But I'm unsure what you want to achieve through the massive vignetting. Images of tunnel vision?