Using mirrorless for street photography.

Batt life wise 1xx shots seems to be very low even for a battery vampire like the A7R.

I don really feel the need to switch off the camera whenever not in use though , most if not all cameras have 'sleep' modes u can enable to conserve power.

The A7rII to me is too 'big' and 'loud' a camera to use for street, and more suitable for shots where u need a lot of details (such as landscapes)

I'll may consider a GR / GR II or X100T or even some of the smaller MFT models instead.
I thought of using the GR just that I have already boughf thd sony mighf as well make use of it...

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

I thought of using the GR just that I have already boughf thd sony mighf as well make use of it...

That's true but given the issues all have a hardware component to it, your best bet is to hope that Sony gives you a firmware update that might improve the speed of operation and battery life.
In the mean time, you can probably play around with the settings to enable better battery life and practice/shoot more such that you become more confident and have to chimp less.

Failing all that, just cut your losses and sell quickly before it looses more value. Do some research, test the models you shortlist to avoid future potential costly mistakes.
If all Sony A7 series use the same batteries, buying more batteries is a good quick fix so you can keep the extras for future A7 series purchases. I find with mirrorless you always need an extra battery or three.

That's true but given the issues all have a hardware component to it, your best bet is to hope that Sony gives you a firmware update that might improve the speed of operation and battery life.
In the mean time, you can probably play around with the settings to enable better battery life and practice/shoot more such that you become more confident and have to chimp less.

Failing all that, just cut your losses and sell quickly before it looses more value. Do some research, test the models you shortlist to avoid future potential costly mistakes.
If all Sony A7 series use the same batteries, buying more batteries is a good quick fix so you can keep the extras for future A7 series purchases. I find with mirrorless you always need an extra battery or three.
Lets see how long I can tahan the shuttle lag..

just buy more batteries the battery life only last me 110-140 shot per battery.

That's very low. I have popped in a 100% battery and done timelapse for my A7r, shot around 300+ shots and still had at least 50% battery left. Granted I did not chimp my shots but all pre focusing was done with live view and I did spend a fair amount of time focusing my shots in low light. I find the 110-140 shots to be rather unsettling. Did you have OSS on?

My settings were Manual mode (ISO, AF, exposure and WB all manual), OSS off, power standby set to off, airplane mode on, live view auto switch between EVF and Live view.

My settings were Manual mode (ISO, AF, exposure and WB all manual), OSS off, power standby set to off, airplane mode on, live view auto switch between EVF and Live view.
This is a good idea. An active Wifi tends to search for available networks, which drains the battery quickly.

Lets see how long I can tahan the shuttle lag..

will the slowest shutter lag at 0.359 second that's pretty fast.

I got the a7r because of the 36mp n no AA filter. I should have done more research.

Then all the more you should be or try to use your A6000 instead.
Not sure why you didnt use your a6000...as you mention earlier on.

I would say.. a6000 will be better for street photography compared to A7r. Unless you had a7ii or a7rii.

Then all the more you should be or try to use your A6000 instead.
Not sure why you didnt use your a6000...as you mention earlier on.

I would say.. a6000 will be better for street photography compared to A7r. Unless you had a7ii or a7rii.
Yeah...im still wondering myself too... I dont have the $$$ for a7r ii...

You on your cam whole day ?
For mirrorless system , most will off the camera when not shooting...

I leave it on and after awhile it will sleep

That's very low. I have popped in a 100% battery and done timelapse for my A7r, shot around 300+ shots and still had at least 50% battery left. Granted I did not chimp my shots but all pre focusing was done with live view and I did spend a fair amount of time focusing my shots in low light. I find the 110-140 shots to be rather unsettling. Did you have OSS on?

ya steadyshot always on. I also have airplane mode on.

Last edited:
Have you checked that your pre-AF is OFF? My pre-AF and OSS is almost always OFF.