Using manual focus without the prism

Status
Not open for further replies.

two200

Nov 19, 2004
Eunos
galleria2200.blogspot.com
In the old days, manual focusing was made easy by the presence of the focusing prism. However, modern lenses does not incorporate such aid for manual focusing. How can one be sure that a photo is in focus without such aid, especially one with eyesight like mine :cry:

The easiest and most direct method is to add some sort of magnification to the viewfinder either by means of an angle finder or viewfinder magnifier.

Additionally, you could change out the focusing screen to one that is more suitable for manual focusing, i.e., split-image, microprism or rough ground glass. Even if a DSLR doesn't have a user changeable screen, it's usually possible to do so except perhaps on some models.

In the viewfinder there is a focus indicator, and when the lens is in focus the indicator dot will light up. Alternatively there are also a split image focusing prisms which you can install onto your camera. One such example is the Katz Eye focusing screen. OP sells them if you're interested.

Digital SLR cameras have a focus confirmation dot in the viewfinder. If the camera believes that point is sharp, it will indicate it in the viewfinder. Pretty accurate for me so far.

In the viewfinder there is a focus indicator, and when the lens is in focus the indicator dot will light up. Alternatively there are also a split image focusing prisms which you can install onto your camera. One such example is the Katz Eye focusing screen. OP sells them if you're interested.

Yup, those are pretty nifty too. :)

That's assuming that the lenses are electronically coupled. Unless there are electronic focus confirm systems that work even when the lenses are not electronically coupled. :)

TS was not specific. :confused:

To two200,

In case you wonder where the focus confirmation light is, please refer to pg. 19 of your EOS 1000D manual. :)

To two200,

In case you wonder where the focus confirmation light is, please refer to pg. 19 of your EOS 1000D manual. :)

thanks for all the reply.

If I am not mistaken, the confirmation light will only light up when you half press the shutter right? (working, so no time to check, need to avoid my boss's sharp eyes!) Would be nice if it gives a confirmation without the shutter being pressed.

The Katz eye focusing looks interesting, will need to check that up

Sunfish, the focusing screen is interesting too but mine is 1000D.

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken, the confirmation light will only light up when you half press the shutter right? (working, so no time to check, need to avoid my boss's sharp eyes!) Would be nice if it gives a confirmation without the shutter being pressed.

Not sure about Canon cameras, but on Nikon the confirmation light does light up when focus is acquired, without half pressing the shutter release. :)

thanks for all the reply.

The Katz eye focusing looks interesting, will need to check that up

Sunfish, the focusing screen is interesting too but mine is 1000D.

Katz Eye focusing screen is quite expensive. You can try the china made ones sold by OP. Cost around $60 installed.

Katz Eye focusing screen is quite expensive. You can try the china made ones sold by OP. Cost around $60 installed.

How do you rate the performance of those made in China? Besides the difference in price, what other differences are we expecting? Thanks in advance for sharing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.