using macro lenses for portraiture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfcry91

Jun 17, 2009
hey guys.. wat do u all think of using macro lenses for portraits? eg canon's 100mm 2.8 macro etc.. cheers! :)

I'm also using that for some potrait shots but still feels that I need more practice as I'm more used to using it for macro.

hey guys.. wat do u all think of using macro lenses for portraits? eg canon's 100mm 2.8 macro etc.. cheers! :)

why not. but if you use AF, it can be a bit slower than the EF50mm.

oh ok.. hmm, then wat abt stuff like IQ etc?

It's an excellent lens for portraits! If lighting is good, focusing speed should not be a problem. The only drawback is that it can be too sharp for portraits. Can see all the pores and stuff.

All shot with the Canon 100mm Macro at f2.8

3624795973_2e89565494_o.jpg

3625614398_cb9e97f587_o.jpg

3625100325_f1b00a89fc_o.jpg

3625615126_1e051558d3_o.jpg

3624797497_9c68454f75_o.jpg

cool. i didnt know macro lenses could be used for portraitures! :D
maybe i should consider getting macro lenses as it can be used for both macros and portraits! ;)

This has already come up several times. The main thing to worry about on macro lenses will be slower AF. So if you have a fast-moving subject, be prepared.

This has already come up several times. The main thing to worry about on macro lenses will be slower AF. So if you have a fast-moving subject, be prepared.

That's true. AF is generally slower by a small tad.

... and please don't ever use this lens to shoot your girlfriend, wife or mother-in-law face close-up without their make-up. Everything exposed! Do some PP before they see the pictures. LOL

As some have mentioned, it's a great lens for portraits as well as macro.

That's true. AF is generally slower by a small tad.

Can be improved by changing the focus range to avoid the AF going into the macro range.

Can be improved by changing the focus range to avoid the AF going into the macro range.

Not on dedicated macro lenses...

Yes, you can use macro lenses for portraiture,
the only concern is might be too sharp, last time we add soft focus filter if needed, now simply just use photoshop

as for slow focusing, unless you are shooting kids running around or hyperactive XMM, shouldn't be a problem for general portraiture.

i see, so how would be like compared to faster portraiture lenses like the 50 f1.4 or 85 f1.8? im really contemplating which to get, a macro lens or portrait lens.. :x

i see, so how would be like compared to faster portraiture lenses like the 50 f1.4 or 85 f1.8? im really contemplating which to get, a macro lens or portrait lens.. :x

A faster portraiture lens would definitely be limited in close up work, while a macro lens' main limitation is its slower focusing compared to these other primes.

Status
Not open for further replies.