Using Kingston 8G SDHC card with K-x

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongcho

Jun 8, 2009
When I use a new the Kingston 8G SDHC card(class4) with the K-x and experience problem -unable to save picture due to memory card. Anyone having silimar experience before?
I brought the Kingston card back to the shop and exchange a new one; but still encounter the problem.

When I use a new the Kingston 8G SDHC card(class4) with the K-x and experience problem -unable to save picture due to memory card. Anyone having silimar experience before?
I brought the Kingston card back to the shop and exchange a new one; but still encounter the problem.

Should not have any problems. Did you ensure the sd card is not write protected?
if not try formatting the card using the camera built-in format utility. Also, some other branded cameras file format may also not compatible. I was at the pcshow trying to try out the various camera using my sd card. After taking some shots from one brand, pentax cameras was not able to use the card until I formatted it. :)

I second the above advice given to you. Heed it.

Also, try to invest in a 8 GB Class 6 SDHC card... its considerably faster than 8 GB Class 4 and not much more expensive.

Checked again and it was not write protected. I formated the new card with the camera utility before using.

The problem is sometimes it works(save the pics) and sometimes it does not.

I swap back to using my original SD card (which had no problems at all capturing and storing more than 1300 pics).

I actually want to buy and test out the new Kingston card for my next trip - as I intend to test out some video recording with the K-x.

Maybe have to forgo this Kingston card and buy a more expensive one. The problem is whether to buy a different brand (same as my original SDHC card which came with the camera) or not.

If Kingston card have compatibility issue with K-x then class 6 also may also not work properly. Anyone using Kingston 8G with K-x and any problems?

i also having this problem.... today just bought my k-x... :dunno:

I am using the Kingston 8GB Class 6 with no problems so far. Have also Toshiba too. My guess is if you have problems, it could be a bad batch of sd cards. is your firmware version V1.01? if not suggest you also flash the firmware to latest version using a tested-working card.
Good luck :)

Yes I uploaded firmware is 1.01 shortly after release.
Could be a bad batch of SD card.

I'm using a Kingston 8GB micro-SDHC class 4 with SD adapter, working fine so far.

Come to think about it it was a little strange.
When the shop sold me; the SDHC is was only in the plastic box -
Unlike a normal brand new SDHC card - this plastic box is enclosed inside another cardboard + plastic cover.

I, too, used a Kingston 8 GB Class 6 SDHC on my K-x. And I have several of these exact same cards in use with my other camera bodies as well with no problems at all whatsoever till date. And I haven't even formatted some of these cards since I got them!

Your SDHC will be covered under its own manufacturer's warranty. Simply go back to the shop that sold you this card and tell him to change it for you. They should have no problems doing so. Test the replacement card on the spot in the shop itself OR simply exchange it for another brand SDHC you are familiar with instead.

Let us know here if the shopkeeper refuses to change/replace the card for you.

Last edited:
SD cards are relatively cheap and reusable so invest in a good fast card that can have a transfer rate of at least 10mb/sec. This is essential if you want to shoot sequentially or if you want smooth, not crappy video. Sandisk Extreme is reliable and proven.

Come to think about it it was a little strange.
When the shop sold me; the SDHC is was only in the plastic box -
Unlike a normal brand new SDHC card - this plastic box is enclosed inside another cardboard + plastic cover.

When I bought my K-x from Alan Photo (Funan), they also gave me a Kingston 8 GB Class 6 SDHC inside its own little plastic box. No external blister packaging was present too. And I have had no problems whatsoever with it.

I had actually pointed this out and was told that this was how Pentax gave them these cards since these were part of the freebies on offer from Pentax at the time. Don't know how true this is though!

Sandisk Extreme is reliable and proven.

Sandisk is one of the best actually. Like creampuff said, you can purchase it without fear even if you haven't used Sandisk before. Other good top-of-the-line brands are Transcend and Kingston. There are some more good brands... Toshiba comes to mind.

Does seem like a case of a bad batch here.

Last edited:
Actually the shop exchange another one with me today - but same problem persits.
I will call them again tomorrow to see how.

Incidently I read for the other thread and realise it was from the same shop as SpyCam

Actually the shop exchange another one with me today - but same problem persits.

Incidently I read for the other thread and realise it was from the same shop as SpyCam

mine doesn't have problems, it also come from SLR rev, you might want to try to reformat it from cam as i did the first time i use it. :)

I had this same problem before for my k-7, now the Kingston is happily sitting on my point and shoot cam. ;)

Last edited:

i was given class 4 as class 6 ran out and the guy told me class 6 got problematic complaint by customers.

i had just updated firmware and formatted using k-x. will try and test more before updating results here.

i have never used kingston before

but transcend and sandisk extreme, these are the ones i have used.. my transcend from OP has been working great since k100d times..

and sandisk extreme transfer speeds to computer are :heart:

I have a Kingston 8GB Class 6 card with my K20D. Sometimes I get corrupted image files but I'm not sure if it's the fault of the card or camera or both. :dunno:

Don't discount the possibility of a dud card reader.

In my case the memory card error is shown on the display of the K-x.

Status
Not open for further replies.