Using K-x's HDR Function

Have anyone of you who own a K-x used the Built in HDR function before. Care to show your HDR picture here?

How does the HDR function works? and how to do the setting to adchive nice image, Please share it here.:D

4609641840_ea81160a22_b.jpg

here's one i taken.... Kx with kit lens 18-55mm... with HDR function on...
cheers... ;)

You have to use a tripod or place your camera on something steady .

The HDR will take 3 shot with one overexposed, correct exposure and the last underexposed , and then combines all three together to give an image that is fully correctly exposed preserving highlights and brightening dark areas.

can post exif data? all the settings..

cheers... ;)

holy sh! this is speechless!!!!!!!

Can you share us shutter speed, aperture, lens, etc.??? I love those kind of photoghraph soooo much...

The HDR will take 3 shot with one overexposed, correct exposure and the last underexposed , and then combines all three together to give an image that is fully correctly exposed preserving highlights and brightening dark areas.

so do i need to do it in PC(using some software), or the camera will do the job for me

cheers... ;)

Magnificent take!
Care to share the EXIF data?
I'm interested in the process of metering for this.

Did you just start off with a a fixed exposure that you always begin with for night shots (Eg. ISO100; f8, 8s ) or was this metered (Av, M mode, etc)?

Which HDR you use? HDR1 or HDR2? How to use it?

can post exif data? all the settings..

holy sh! this is speechless!!!!!!!

Can you share us shutter speed, aperture, lens, etc.??? I love those kind of photoghraph soooo much...

Magnificent take!
Care to share the EXIF data?
I'm interested in the process of metering for this.

Did you just start off with a a fixed exposure that you always begin with for night shots (Eg. ISO100; f8, 8s ) or was this metered (Av, M mode, etc)?

Hi all... i'm still at work now... will post the settings tonight when i get back home... ;)

lol.. so much demand for settings after u post 1 pic.. epicness

There is always so much fun with Kx.

Hi all... i'm still at work now... will post the settings tonight when i get back home... ;)

i think it will defeat the purpose of photography if everyone is just interested to copy everyone's work. photography especially from a dslr user is about experimenting and getting use to the aperture, shutter speed, sensitivities of the camera. :(

it will be good if everyone do their own things and come out with different style instead of copying from one particular forumer. :bsmilie:

BD, good pic!:thumbsup:

i think it will defeat the purpose of photography if everyone is just interested to copy everyone's work. photography especially from a dslr user is about experimenting and getting use to the aperture, shutter speed, sensitivities of the camera. :(

it will be good if everyone do their own things and come out with different style instead of copying from one particular forumer. :bsmilie:

BD, good pic!:thumbsup:

Not exactly in this case.
That is why I think the thought process to get to the night time exposure is key.
Get a good start off point and adjust from there, the 'there' being what will differ in the end for each photographer.
Better than telling ppl to "Just start at sunny 16 for night shots" (adjust till siow :sweat:)
From my limited use of the in-camera HDR, it can be picky on the exposure 'mid' point as well. Too high, and halos are very obvious. Too low and obviously there isn't too much HDR.

so do i need to do it in PC(using some software), or the camera will do the job for me

Well you can do both !

If you set the camera to HDR i will combine the 3 pictures for you.

You can do it youself be taking -1ev, 0ev and +1 ev , then combine together in photoshop, which is how people used to do HDR.

I think the k-x also has a HDR art filter but it gives a grainy old-school look which is kinda cool.

hey all... thanks for the interest in the photo... was quite surprise by the picture when i went back home to view it on the computer... looks a bit 3D...

here's the settings...
Camera - Pentax KX white on Manfrotto tripod
Lens - 18-55mm kit @ 21mm
Shot in Manual Mode, no PP except correcting the horizon...
ISO 200
Aperture - F11
Shutter Speed - 25 seconds
Auto White Balance
HDR function ON
Star Burst Filter ON
Shot at about 9pm last saturday...

After the first shot, the camera will automatically take 2nd shot which is underexpose and a 3rd shot which is overexpose and will AUTO merge the 3 shots... i do not have the settings for the 2nd and 3rd shot as it's not shown in the Exif data... but it should be the same as doing bracketing shots i suppose (please correct me if wrong) and later merging in Photoshop/Photomatix or whatever software is needed...

i seldom shoot night landscape... but was considering the exposure time too and i do not have a cable to shoot in bulb mode(although a cable is really not needed)... so i settle for about F11 and shoot away...

anyone else with more pictures with the HDR function on? please share... hope to see some sunrise and sunset shots... ;)

Last edited:
can use remote to trigger bulb mode right?

and by the way, kx's sensor gets hot after some time when doing video recording..

will it overheat the same way if it's on bulb mode?

can use remote to trigger bulb mode right?

and by the way, kx's sensor gets hot after some time when doing video recording..

will it overheat the same way if it's on bulb mode?

yah... i do not have a cable remote to trigger bulb mode... i am not too sure about how long u can shoot in video mode with the sensor overheating... hope someone shares some info here... but i'm sure it's not too much of a problem... ;)

i have done a few 3-4 mins video but they are indoors with aircon. never notice any problem with sensor overheating. memory space is more of a problem rather than sensor overheating

yah... i do not have a cable remote to trigger bulb mode... i am not too sure about how long u can shoot in video mode with the sensor overheating... hope someone shares some info here... but i'm sure it's not too much of a problem... ;)
i kinda worried if using long time in sg/my coz of weather is getting from bad to worse..

some1 posted about shooting vid till 3-4mins and it'll auto stop and showed warning, shutdown cam, on back agian, record also 1-2 mins auto stop again..

winter time or aircon room then no prob..