Using HD LCD Tv as PC monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
Anyone using a HD LCD TV for as a PC monitor?

Reason for asking, a professional 24" LCD with 92% colour gamut, 1920x1200, will cost about $1k whereas a 32" HD (1920x1200) LCD TV, with higher contrast, brightness, faster refresh rate will cost maybe $1.2k.

What isn't usng LCD TV as a PC monitor a better alternative? Is there any flipside to it that it is not a common practice?

The pixels are bigger on the 32" LCD TV hence text are quite hard to read if you are sitting close to the screen. Make its harder to check for image sharpness too. The LCD TV are more prone to screen burn in so you can't really use them as display for your workstation. Higher contrast, faster refresh rates and brighter screen are not the requirements for an imaging professional. High pixel count, accurate color reproduction, good backlighting (no backlight bleeding), good blacks and ease of calibration are their main priority. Certain things you have to look beyond what written on paper. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
The pixels are bigger on the 32" LCD TV hence text are quite hard to read if you are sitting close to the screen. Make its harder to check for image sharpness too. The LCD TV are more prone to screen burn in so you can't really use them as display for your workstation. Higher contrast, faster refresh rates and brighter screen are not the requirements for an imaging professional. High pixel count, accurate color reproduction, good backlighting (no backlight bleeding), good blacks and ease of calibration are their main priority. Certain things you have to look beyond what written on paper. Hope that helps.

Hi hazmee,

May I know where you got the information for the screen burn-in? I was under the impression only plasma screens are prone to burn-in and that was only with early generation plasma sets.

Cheers!

Actually it really depends upon usage.

If you are planning to edit photos and do professional work on it, might be wise to avoid it.

BUT

If you are using it for movies, the net, word processing and gaming, why not? I am currently using a 24inch Acer(strictly speaking its a monitor...) that doesnt exactly have the best colour gamut or accuracy, but for watching movies and surfing the net(the amount of real LCD real estate allows me to bump my DPI) its really quite unparalled.:D

and its cheap.

like really cheap;p

what is the difference with a 32" LCD TV supporting full HD 1920x1200 and a 24" PC LCD supporting 1920x1200 ? They cost about the same at S$1.2k.

Both support PC analog / DVI and HDMI input.

Which should I get?

32" LCD TV can support full HD input, but is it a real full HD panel? There are a few Full HD panels LCD TVs out there. BTW full HD is 1920x1080, not 1920x1200.

Cheers!

32" LCD TV can support full HD input, but is it a real full HD panel? There are a few Full HD panels LCD TVs out there. BTW full HD is 1920x1080, not 1920x1200.

Cheers!

Yes it is full HD. ok, now you highlighted a difference. HD LCD TV is 1920 x 1080 whereas PC LCD is 1920 x 1200.

Status
Not open for further replies.