Using focusing screen that wasnt made for the camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshift

Jul 11, 2006
I have a film SLR Minolta Dynax 5. It is an autofocus SLR, therefore the original focusing screen is just a plain focusing screen (not split image or multiprims). But I use manual focus lenses on it too, so the original focusing screen is a drawback for me, i thought a split image focusing screen could help.

I found an old broken yashica SLR from the closet and i checked the focusing screen has split image. i wonder if i can use the focusing screen screen from Yashica on the Minolta (provided same size)? If both has different flange distance, would the focusing screen still be accurate?

Thanks

The immediate answer is no it won't fit. Each screen plastic shape and size are designed specifically. However, if you chose split prism screen, won't the matted surface spoil the fun of having a clear VF vision?

Besides fit, screen thickness is more critical in ensuring compatibility.

i supposed i could get it to fit the cam by a little sanding on the focusing screen..
why does thickness mater? isit because it wont fit if its too thick? or the focus will fall short if the thickness different?

@spheredome
I really need the split image. although I think the focusing screen will darken the viewfinder abit..

Try searching "minolta focusing screen" in ebay.com. Not sure what kind of screen is compatible.

Registration or rather, mis-registration that could result in front or rear focusing.

Try ebay. They have tons of focusing screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.