Using flash on babies/toddler

Status
Not open for further replies.

runes

Sep 18, 2005
What is your advice? I know you're not supposed to use flash on newborn.

How about bounce flash? Safe for newborn or what month toddler?

Direct flash? or with diffuser?

Any advice out there??

simple

if u scared then dont use

I've not been using flash on my baby till he's after 5mths old. Now using bounced flash only. Of course when you bring him to gatherings, some inconsiderate friends would even use flash on him at close range. They'll end up getting a dressing down by me. :angry:

user111 said:
simple

if u scared then dont use

Will not use if harmful of course. Even adults will be affected by glaring flashes.

Having said that, I remember the baby (in tummy then) kicked my wife when i forgot to switch off flash when I photographed my wife.

runes said:
What is your advice? I know you're not supposed to use flash on newborn.

How about bounce flash? Safe for newborn or what month toddler?

Direct flash? or with diffuser?

Any advice out there??

just use available light. a nice and soft window light will do.

I would avoid direct flash. No scientific or medical reason behind my view, just that if it can hurt my eyes i rather not expose a baby to it. Boucning or diffusing would be good alternatives

There are no scientific data to indicate that direct flashes on the babies eyes has any long term side effects on the eye-sight, vision, etc.

In fact, doctors do use an opthalmoscope or sometimes a very bright light source mounted on the head to directly shine into a premature babies eyes to look for an signs of damage due to excessive oxygen to the premature baby. But there again, the brightness of these lights are much less than what we use in flash photography.

My personal take - use common sense - I won't use flash to take a macro of the eye of a baby or for that matter, any body. However, if the baby is a few feet away, especially if he is not looking directly into the light, I would go for it.

makes me wonder if the retina of the baby is sensitive or the iris is not fast enuff to close the aperture... which ever... it hurts...

having said that... whoever uses a flash extender to shoot a baby ought to be blinded... ;p

babies are very active,without flash,you will get blurry images.
As what happens to my colleague,she now use flash and get very nice images.
Just not sure if it will cause harm to them when they grow up.:dunno:

Any doctor in the house?:bsmilie:

some camera manuals say don't use direct flash within 1 metre of babies/newborns.

think bounce should be okay any time. but watch any spill/glow from the flash itself.

edit: from d70 manual:

Using the flash close to your subject’s eyes could cause temporary visual impairment. Particular care should be observed if photographing infants, when the flash should be no less than one meter (39˝) from the subject.

d7t3 said:
some camera manuals say don't use direct flash within 1 metre of babies/newborns.

think bounce should be okay any time. but watch any spill/glow from the flash itself.

edit: from d70 manual:

does it say anything about using lightsphere?

doesn't say anything cos firstly it's only a general warning statement, and 2ndly it's not a nikon accessory...

i suppose any bright light (whether diffused or not) should be kept at a safe distance, esp. for babies

zaxh81 said:
babies are very active,without flash,you will get blurry images.
As what happens to my colleague,she now use flash and get very nice images.
Just not sure if it will cause harm to them when they grow up.:dunno:

Any doctor in the house?:bsmilie:
Actually, it depends on the available light. I've been taking pics of my daughter, and 99% are without flash. If u have a fast lens and sufficient available light, it's possible to get sharp pics :)

I did not try flash on my daughter until she was abt 6-7 months old. By then, I was in love with natural light ;p

tunster said:
Time for you to get a big aperture lens like F2.8? Hehehe..

f2.8 might be not enough too,a cheap f1.8 lens can try.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
think need f1.0 lens... for hyper active babies..
Hahaha, I'm using a f/1.4, sometimes f/2.8 is enough lah. As I mentioned, depends on available light ;p

The most, push ISO to 800 or 1600 lor :bsmilie:

never use direct flash into the eyes
use a flash diffuser like omni bounce or stofen
even if it does not harm long term, it IS irritating to the eyes of the baby

ricohflex said:
never use direct flash into the eyes
use a flash diffuser like omni bounce or stofen
even if it does not harm long term, it IS irritating to the eyes of the baby
Agree :thumbsup:

this is my 0.02 worth.....

My wife is very very unhappy about people using flash to take pics of my son. And suring the visit to the Paediatrician, she asked if its okay for people to use camera flash on my son. to our surprise the doc actually say its okay cos kids will know how to close their eyes when the light source is too bright. undaunted by that we seek second opinion and the answer is the same. I wonder does doctors here memorize from textbooks or what. Anyways, since that day i have been looking around and i noticed pple here use flash on their children when they take pictures...

Anyways, I do not buy the doctor's story but then again what pisses me off is not those people who use flash... its the people who use the small little P&S with red eye reduction enabled. and they usually like to stand like half a meter from babies and flash at will only to realize that the pic is no good and they try shooting again with no change an any settings... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.