using flash in underwater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeist

May 21, 2004
hi!

does flash serve a purpose in underwater? (since light dun travel very well in water and especially with a underwater casing)....am i right to say that if i do not use any attach external flash light....im taking photos without flash even though i set the mode to auto?

pls advice...thanx

joeist said:
hi!

does flash serve a purpose in underwater? (since light dun travel very well in water and especially with a underwater casing)....am i right to say that if i do not use any attach external flash light....im taking photos without flash even though i set the mode to auto?

pls advice...thanx

Generally, in my limited newbie experience, when taking shots w/o a strobe, i find that for close up shots (eg. small creatures, macro etc), using the flash generally gives much better results. Don't use the zoom and go in close.

For animals further away (eg. more than say 5 ft), depending on visibility, the internal flash may result in too much backscatter. Try taking with and without the flash and see which you prefer! ;)

hey...thanx very much for ur advice :p

kng said:
Generally, in my limited newbie experience, when taking shots w/o a strobe, i find that for close up shots (eg. small creatures, macro etc), using the flash generally gives much better results. Don't use the zoom and go in close.

For animals further away (eg. more than say 5 ft), depending on visibility, the internal flash may result in too much backscatter. Try taking with and without the flash and see which you prefer! ;)

hmmm...not trying to confuse our friend here...but I still think that the internal strobe can only do so much. When ur subject is TOO close, u cannot use the internal coz it will not be able to hit the subject with the strobe. In this case, u will need external Strobe (eg SuperMacro Mode)

one more thing to note is that using external strobe it will give u more creative lighting of ur subject as well, better still, get 2! to reduce/remove shadow...

There are many many advantages of using external strobe......I've never thought I needed it until I had one... kekeke...so :blah: buy buy buy :blah: External Strobe!

:sweatsm:

wah....the advice that u guys gave r so chiam .....im a beginner leh :p

joeist said:

Welcome to the dark side..... :bsmilie:

joeist said:

Hi,
Go national library to borrow books about underwater diving, they have a few. They define fully why having a strobe pose good advantages especially under bad visibility. As a start for good pictures, concentrate on macro pictures only unless under shallow crystal clear water with good sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.