using falsh to shoot fashion show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokia

Oct 2, 2005
went for several fashion shows last month, as the background was brighter than the model, most photogarphers used flash, but I found the official photographer and some prosfessionals ( I guess, because they used D2X, 1D MK2) didn't use flash during the show!

I tried several shoots without flash in different metering mode, models in the all images were under-expose, adjusted brightness of model to normal in PS, the background was over-expose, all the details were lost.

Just wondering how the professionals post process these image ?
Will you use flash in similiar shoot?

I guess most fashion shows will have those ceiling spotlights, they move and turn 360 degree, so if u know the "secret", u can always wait when the spotlights are pointing to your model, then u shoot, should be bright enough.

With a bright background, even matrix metering will be thrown off. Learn to use spot metering, or better still, eye-metering and manual exposure. That will seriously set you apart as a very serious photographer who relies more on judgement and eyes than the camera's programming.

If allow, of course use. But just to fill-in only. :)

Astin said:
I guess most fashion shows will have those ceiling spotlights, they move and turn 360 degree, so if u know the "secret", u can always wait when the spotlights are pointing to your model, then u shoot, should be bright enough.

Thanks for the quick reply.

If really like this, I think the chance to get good image is low:
either model is in good pose, but light is not perfect,
or spotlights are pointing to model, but the model is not in perfect pose.

correct me if I am wrong.

nokia said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

If really like this, I think the chance to get good image is low:
either model is in good pose, but light is not perfect,
or spotlights are pointing to model, but the model is not in perfect pose.

correct me if I am wrong.

if not?
so easy to be a professional photographer?

You can't have a runway show without spotlights. Usually there will be spotlights on the model for at least part of the runway till the end, just have to watch your metering. Spot, Matrix, manual metering modes are all applicable as long as you are comfortable or familiar with your camera. Flash is hardly ever needed, nor D2x nor 1Dmk2..etc.

yowch said:
With a bright background, even matrix metering will be thrown off. Learn to use spot metering, or better still, eye-metering and manual exposure. That will seriously set you apart as a very serious photographer who relies more on judgement and eyes than the camera's programming.

Let's say use spot metering, the exposure is set base on the light on the model face, but the background is brighter, will over exposed?

nokia said:
Let's say use spot metering, the exposure is set base on the light on the model face, but the background is brighter, will over exposed?

Use fill when u need to, but hardly will you get backgrounds brighter than the spotlight illumination on the model.

nokia said:

So, which is important? The correct exposure of the model face or the correct background? You know what I mean?:) Cheers dude.

perhaps it might help u get the answer u are looking for if u can let us know wat camera u were using in ur fashion shoots? :)

there are many variables involved. there are some 'within your control' and some 'outside your control'. make use of those within your control and use them to your advantage. first, learn to recognise what is and what's not, then move on. i know i am speaking in vague terms.

you may look out for mpenza here, who is a seasoned photographer in runway fashion photography.

nokia said:

Spectrum said:
So, which is important? The correct exposure of the model face or the correct background? You know what I mean?:) Cheers dude.

yes, you are correct.
what I mean is, when I use fill in, most of time model and backgroud are correct expoed.

Now I can understand a little bit why professions never use flash during fashion shoot.

great, you understand 'a little bit' now. it is time to find out more why some of them do not use flash or use flash. i suggest that you find an opportunity and approach one/some of them. chat with them. who knows they may tell you why. that will certainly shorten your learning curve. above all, be a thinking photographer.

nokia said:
yes, you are correct.
what I mean is, when I use fill in, most of time model and backgroud are correct expoed.

Now I can understand a little bit why professions never use flash during fashion shoot.

nokia said:
yes, you are correct.

Hmmm.....:think: That's not what I mean leh. Anyway, better ask the real pro out there somewhere. Hee...hee....:)

nokia said:
I tried several shoots without flash in different metering mode, models in the all images were under-expose, adjusted brightness of model to normal in PS, the background was over-expose, all the details were lost.

Post-processing
Didn't see this addressed earlier.....

Adjust the midtones. If only the models are underexposed, adjusting the midtones (instead of brightness for the entire image) will brighten the models (as if you use flash for fill-in). Ways to do it include using "levels" in photoshop or equivalent software, or using curves, etc.

Use of flash
Anyway, whether to use flash or not depends on the lighting and surroundings. At some places (weird color cast or not so good lighting or messy background), you want/need to use flash, while others, you could do without or use flash as fill-in (e.g. lights are placed high and result in shadows on the face).

Some examples:

Use of flash:
http://mpenza.clubsnap.org/gallery/tropicana05

Flash as fill-in:
http://mpenza.clubsnap.org/gallery/sff2004a

Non-use of flash:
http://mpenza.clubsnap.org/gallery/elle2005

Use of pro equipment
Anyway, use of pro models like D2X, 1D MK2 doesn't mean the photographers are pro and use of non-pro models doesn't mean photographers are non-pros ;p You just need to use the right equipment to do the job. The brand and equipment "category" do not matter much.

Status
Not open for further replies.