using f1.8 in day light

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiestormi

Oct 8, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Just bought a 50mm f1.8d for my D90.
Try shooting at Vivio bridal show.

With a SB600 setting at f1.8 it shutter show HI.I try to change the aperture to f7.1 lower ISO then can see shutter speed 200. should I use a ND filter to use f1.8 or is there other way.

I try off the SB600 the face look dark.

where were you shooting from? and what was the setting on the SB600?

The SB600 has a flash range limit so if the target is out of range, the light from the flash won`t reach.

there are a couple of other things but best is to show the pic with exif intact.

btw, please read up on the various filters and their uses.

DSC_00214.jpg

no flash the face is dark

DSC_002610.jpg

with flash TTL setting with defuser.

DSC_00594.jpg

this one is f2.8.SB600 got the plastic for wide one is also put in together with the defuser. I was thinking is there a wayto go lower f so that I can have a better bokeh.
I was standing at the front left side of the stage.most of the time the offical photographer is next to me.

Last edited:
What metering mode do you use? Seems to me the white grown has affected the metering in your first 2 photos.

What is your ISO. Lower it and you can use a bigger aperture. Also, flash has a limit of 1/200, try using FEL to automatically reduce the power or set to manual (flash)

I am using spot metering.
As for FEL(flash exp lock) I will need to learn that.
As for white gown I don't how to counter that. If i use full manual I may get all the wrong exposure.

Not sure if this work but I will use Matrix metering to take the shot and review the result.

If the image is correctly exposed, I would lock the reading into Manual mode and try more shot.

If f1.8 letting in too much light, you can get a CPL to help cut down. CPL can also be use for other purpose compare to getting a ND2/4/8 filter.

As for white gown I don't how to counter that. If i use full manual I may get all the wrong exposure.

You'll need to know how to compensate when using spot metering. The camera will give you correct exposure only if you're spot metering at mid tone objects. Otherwise if you're spot metering at white object the pic will be underexposed (the camera tries to expose the white object as mid grey), or at black object the pic will be overexposed (similarly the camera tries to expose the black object as mid grey).

Your 1st pic is without flash, so it measures your ambient light. Your ambient light is already enough, seeing how your shutter spd is 1/1000. I know you are trying to light up the face, but once you attach a flash, you will force the the shutter speed to sync to 1/200 (default for D90), and with aperture still at 1.8, you will definitely blow the exposure of the pic.

What I suggest you do is:

1. Use spot metering on the face (and only on the face only), and shoot with ambient light only. OR
2. Enable Auto FP. Read your manual to see how this is setup. OR
3. my preference will be using M mode exposed for the overall scene (get your settings with matrix meter in A mode), but you have to dial down your flash compensation a lot. That is why it is so important to test your settings prior to shooting, i.e. shoot some useless model or people prior to the main event.

The SB-600 can heat up quite a bit if you fire consecutively in high sync mode.

Can never tell if the flash tube might blow if you overdo it.

My few cents,

I suggest the following :

1. Expose for Ambient. Use M mode on camera. Meter in M mode to get the exposure. Based on 1st picture, ambient is :

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/1000 second
ISO Speed Ratings = 200

Actually, you should be able to expose it a bit more by +0.7 to 1 stop based on the photo. So if we do that the setting goes to :

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 1/500 second
ISO Speed Ratings = 200

To get to flash sync speed, dial down the shutter to 1/250 and drop ISO to 100.

2. Now that exposure for ambient is set, fudge the flash power in manual mode to get the fill you need.

If you need to drop the ambient exposure by 1 stop, then don't think there is much choice but to stop down or use a CPL (approx - 1 stop Ev)

Last edited:
I was there the other day. The ambient light varied a number of times due to the glass ceiling. Flash is definitely needed for that event, as there is not other frontal light source to illuminate the model faces at the end of the runway.

U should do exposure compensation when u spot metered, u should +ev to reverse the body attempt to underexpose (to mid-tone grey) as the scene u are shooting at is generally very bright (white dress)..

Best is to manaul meter for ambient and fill flash accordingly (dial down ur ev via TTl or flash power via manual)

Read up on Auto FP (go beyond ur max sync), its in ur manual.. HTH :)

Status
Not open for further replies.