Using External Flash and UV filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo22

Jun 16, 2004
SG [sembawang]
when people tilt the external flash to the back... what effects does it has? it is the same as bouncing off a wall or card?

have anyone heard of the UV filter brand: tokina? and it is gd?
how you judge filters? how gd is hoya UV filter?

hahaz.. ask a lot of questions..

i heard about using filters for protecting the lens.
is it applicable to all types of cameras, even those PNS?

Echo22 said:
when people tilt the external flash to the back... what effects does it has? it is the same as bouncing off a wall or card?

When the flash is tilted to the back, they are trying to bounce the flash.. asuming that that is a wall behind... in this setup, the wall behind will act as a big soft box to illuminate the subject.

Echo22 said:
have anyone heard of the UV filter brand: tokina? and it is gd?

Yes, tokina UV filter are reasonably good. I'm using tokina myself. As for judging of UV filters, I'm no expert being a newbie myself too. From two plus years of photographing experimentation, and advice from friends, UV filters are generally colourless filter that are design to remove the UV element in daylight/sunlight. The rule of thumb my friend told me is for any filter, if you can afford it, go for the multi coated ones.

Yes, UV filter can be used for even the PNS camera as long as their lens have screw thread to put the filters and availability of filters with their thread size. Hope I've answered your quest. :cool:

Echo22 said:

Hmm, I've always used Hoya filters, personal preferances I guess, but they have served me well so far, never have any complains aboutthem, and the price difference with other brands isn't much anyway.

kohweekuan said:
i heard about using filters for protecting the lens.
is it applicable to all types of cameras, even those PNS?

Yes, Its always advisable to use a cheap filter like UV or Skylight to protect the lens, especially on SLR, if u accidently scratched the filter, u just wasted a few bucks, if u scratched the lens.....

Filters can be used on P&S cameras too, provided they have the thread to screw on the filter, if not, you will need a lens adapter.

Cheers

thanks! :D

so guess that A80 can put filter then

Yup, 52mm thread if I'm not wrong

snappez said:
Yes, tokina UV filter are reasonably good. I'm using tokina myself. As for judging of UV filters, I'm no expert being a newbie myself too. From two plus years of photographing experimentation, and advice from friends, UV filters are generally colourless filter that are design to remove the UV element in daylight/sunlight. The rule of thumb my friend told me is for any filter, if you can afford it, go for the multi coated ones.:cool:

i'm using the UV filter as a form of protection.. hahaz.. :p
wat you mean by multi coated ones? do you mean colors filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.