Using CRT or LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josho

Nov 27, 2004
Jln Teck Whye
pboong.com
Hey guys,

I would like to know how many of you guys are actually using CRT or LCD for doing your photos? And which is the most recommended? CRT or LCD.

Im running dual LCD and due to the fact of the colour doesnt match each other, I was thinking of CRT monitor (Sony Brand<- is it recommended?) as 3rd monitor but I found it Over Kill by running 3 monitors.

Then I was thinking of calibrating tools which I guess CP had it. That will cost for $200+.

Would like to know whether you guys can give me some ideas? Should I choose a CRT or to buy calibrating tool to calibrate my LCD? (I dunno how well will it works for my 2 LCD as both are different models.)

Or rather someone had the calibrating s/w for me to try it out if the person dun mind. (I do not know whether does the s/w only recongise 1 or more comp.)

Need some guidances. Thanks ppl

I'm using LCD, and has it calibrated via Eye-One display, works for me.

Getting a 3rd display probably won't help as all three's colours probably won't match. :)

espn said:
I'm using LCD, and has it calibrated via Eye-One display, works for me.

Getting a 3rd display probably won't help as all three's colours probably won't match. :)

does eye one allow mulit installing to diff PC?

how is this diff from the one selling at CP?

CP sells a lot of different calibration kits, depends on which one you're referring to. I know eye-one is one of the highly recommended ones and has one of the better colorimeters around.

josho said:
does eye one allow mulit installing to diff PC?

must buy license :)

Thanks for the reply everyone. So many suggestion had been pop out ;) Appreciate it alot.

Can I say that the other calibration kits that sold at CP works almost the same as EYE ONE?

Anyway, what other kits beside for EYE ONE is recommended?

Thanks again, ppl. ;)

A lot depends on your budget and your needs ....not your wants.

Most of the lower end video cards that support dual monitors/LCDs do not support dual monitor calibration. Not a major problems since one monitor/LCD has to be the viewing/editing one , the other for tools and pallets.

If your needs are not professional level and you cannot see the difference - it is there but there is a narrow gap which you may not see in the prints - remember yours can be the best dam calibrated screen in the Universe but the one at the lab may be calibrated to be some where in the next galaxy then what you see and what they see and itchy finger adjust will be give you back prints that either differ by a little or a lot.

Most of the hardware calibrators work a lot better than trusting your eyes.

Your call on whether you want to spend 200+. 300+ or 500+ on calibration setup.

I suspect that unless you are doing this for a living - you will calibrate very infrequently. The cablibrater will be a white elephant.

Get the same LCD. IMO, get only real professional series, for example (not those from Samsung please if you are serious into colour) those that uses VA panel instead of TN panel. Dell's 19" UltraSharp DVI version uses Samsung's PVA panel with 8bit LCD. Or if you got the money go for EIZO.... not cheap just tell you first.

For cheap get CRT lah....., best latency and colour (for those professional models like G420). Actually I am still waitinf or OLED monitors, but my CRT cannot wait and die on me :bsmilie:

theITguy said:
Get the same LCD. IMO, get only real professional series, for example (not those from Samsung please if you are serious into colour) those that uses VA panel instead of TN panel. Dell's 19" UltraSharp DVI version uses Samsung's PVA panel with 8bit LCD. Or if you got the money go for EIZO.... not cheap just tell you first.

For cheap get CRT lah....., best latency and colour (for those professional models like G420). Actually I am still waitinf or OLED monitors, but my CRT cannot wait and die on me :bsmilie:

What is VA and TN panel?

cheapest accurate colour with big enough screen size is 19" CRT..but heavy ;p

Sigh* My LCD just had her intermittent prob. Now using back CRT. But after using LCD for roughly more than a year, I found My LCD color still no match for my CRT. Though words in LCD tends to be sharper and clearer, the color depth is still no match to CRT. An example is I just installed Firefox two nights ago before my LCD went crazy again, I was suprised to find the grey color shadow in my firefox bar was sort of missing in my LCD. Played games also had sort of big difference too. Btw I heard not all LCD is not true 24bit (16 millions colors), can someone shred some light on the truth? :(

they discussed it before. got to search the threads

Hm....I found CRT is too bulky for my room......I am still thinking should I trade my G420 for a 17" LCD? :lovegrin: What is the market price for a 2 yrs old G420? :think:

I had one Analog input and the other as DVI. If i were to plug in the analog - DVI adapter on the second VGA card, will it be as sharp as what I see on my DVI monitor.

I intend to get the Sony CRT but I cant find but due to space limitation, I had to force to stay put on LCD.

I only found this thread which had been dicussed.

Im still d/ling the TC ATI Optimized 1.8a

If not, I'll grab EYE ONE instead. :embrass:

Is Sony CRT more then enuff???

Heard from someone saying that it no longer produce CRT? Is it true?

tokrot said:
Sigh* My LCD just had her intermittent prob. Now using back CRT. But after using LCD for roughly more than a year, I found My LCD color still no match for my CRT. Though words in LCD tends to be sharper and clearer, the color depth is still no match to CRT. An example is I just installed Firefox two nights ago before my LCD went crazy again, I was suprised to find the grey color shadow in my firefox bar was sort of missing in my LCD. Played games also had sort of big difference too. Btw I heard not all LCD is not true 24bit (16 millions colors), can someone shred some light on the truth?
Yep. Mostly are 18bit (16.2m dithered), you can basically differentiate the 18bits vs 24 bits by their colors, 18bits should render 16.2m, 24 bits render 16.7m.

18 bits actually only produce about 200K colours, but through dithering, they can produce 16.2m. You can ask the salespeople what is the colour depth and they should be able to tell you, even if they can't, they should be able to tell you 16.2 or 16.7 colors.

I've no problems with what my LCD can produce actually, in fact, I can see it's much better than what I have on CRT in office!

josho said:
Is Sony CRT more then enuff???

Heard from someone saying that it no longer produce CRT? Is it true?
Sony has made one of the best CRTs, in durability, colours & shape. Had mine for 9 years before retiring it as I find 15" is stressful.

I haven't been able to find any more Sony CRTs when my Sony 15" of 9 years retired. I was told by most friends the next best thing is the Sony Artisan series, which Sony SG doesn't bring in. So I gave up and decided to move with the flow and get a LCD instead.

espn said:
Yep. Mostly are 18bit (16.2m dithered), you can basically differentiate the 18bits vs 24 bits by their colors, 18bits should render 16.2m, 24 bits render 16.7m.

18 bits actually only produce about 200K colours, but through dithering, they can produce 16.2m. You can ask the salespeople what is the colour depth and they should be able to tell you, even if they can't, they should be able to tell you 16.2 or 16.7 colors.

I've no problems with what my LCD can produce actually, in fact, I can see it's much better than what I have on CRT in office!

Sony has made one of the best CRTs, in durability, colours & shape. Had mine for 9 years before retiring it as I find 15" is stressful.

I haven't been able to find any more Sony CRTs when my Sony 15" of 9 years retired. I was told by most friends the next best thing is the Sony Artisan series, which Sony SG doesn't bring in. So I gave up and decided to move with the flow and get a LCD instead.

Thanks espn.. didn't know u are also "buy buy buy" expert for LCD too.. :bsmilie: anyway, Are those LCDs in the market now are true 24bits? :think:

I make people BUY BUY BUY everything :devil:

Not all are 24bits IIRC... mostly 18bits. :)

The next best CRT you can find are those from Mitsubishi's DiamondTron, and Samsung's NF series (using DiamondTron also), Philips' 19inch P Series (190P) or higher and Viewsonic's Pro series (P75f, P95f etc) which seems like DiamondTron too.

FYI DiamondTron is licensed from Sony but improved. I think I will get a Viewsonic P75f for $350+/- 17" since the P95f is $499++, the Philips 190P is $599 while the Samsung 900NF is $659 something. Hopefully it will last another 2-3 years or longer until I can get a 20" 1600x1200 8ms with near perfect colour reproduction. So far only the current Dell UltraSharp 19" uses a 24bit LCD panel which is not that great for movies but seems to be near perfect colour reproduction (as some review said).

Status
Not open for further replies.