Using built in flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiki

Sep 16, 2004
weekee.fotopic.net
hi all,

just a question. I know that in general you can't take very nice indoor portraits just be using the internal flash. As i have not really got the time yet to get the external flash, just like to check with you guys what is the best way so that i can get the most out of the built in flash? flash power setting? taking distance? thanks!

wiki said:
hi all,

just a question. I know that in general you can't take very nice indoor portraits just be using the internal flash. As i have not really got the time yet to get the external flash, just like to check with you guys what is the best way so that i can get the most out of the built in flash? flash power setting? taking distance? thanks!

Mount a external slave flash (ensure it can sync to your camera flash) to a bracket and make use of camera internal flash to trigger the slave flash to bounce off the ceiling.

See my custom setup for A70 (ignore the reversed lens mounted in front)
a70_setup_05_std.jpg

Click here to see sample shots

Click here to read the article setup

hi thanks for the quick reply. I was looking more of how to fully utilise the built in flash without any external flash. Just like to see how much is possible with the built in flash. I feel that the built in flash is quite powerful, and it seem like a waste as i dunnoe how to use it well. most of the pictures look too harsh. I tried using smaller power setting, but this results in quite obvious fallout in the picture.

wiki said:
hi thanks for the quick reply. I was looking more of how to fully utilise the built in flash without any external flash. Just like to see how much is possible with the built in flash. I feel that the built in flash is quite powerful, and it seem like a waste as i dunnoe how to use it well. most of the pictures look too harsh. I tried using smaller power setting, but this results in quite obvious fallout in the picture.

that is limitation of internal flash tt fire directly. You can adjust the flash exposure to -1/3 to -1.

wiki said:

Create your own bouncer for it. Look at below link. I did it last time, before I bought the external flash. You will need a thick but flexible carton so it can angle it, scissor, and aluminium foil to wrap the carton. Oh, one more thing, use your imagination on what shape is best to mount this into your FZ20 :bsmilie:

Remember, bouncer will only work if the ceiling is light in color and can reflect the light nicely.

Other solution would be to create your own difuser for the internal flash. Do a quick search in google, and you'll see what I mean.

http://photos.explore.be/?flash=1

Cheers,
SG

megaweb said:
Mount a external slave flash (ensure it can sync to your camera flash) to a bracket and make use of camera internal flash to trigger the slave flash to bounce off the ceiling.

See my custom setup for A70 (ignore the reversed lens mounted in front)
a70_setup_05_std.jpg

Click here to see sample shots

Click here to read the article setup

Saw ur photos, looks nice.....I've gotten my Achiever Slave Flash for my A80, how do u take such a nice photos? I tried to bounce the flash without the Stofen Omnibounce but still part of the photos is illuminated and what setting u used in the wedding photos.eg shutter speed, aperture, mode dial and the flash setting in Achiever 115A/S.. M or A?
Thanks

made my own mini softbox for my flash... using a box and a piece of white paper for the front diffusing part... works very well... coz for fz20, cannot meter the flash... so the flash will just burst at full blast... hmm which come to a point to note... when to use diffuser when to use bounce... omni-bounce is actually a diffuser isit??

littledigitalartist said:
made my own mini softbox for my flash... using a box and a piece of white paper for the front diffusing part... works very well... coz for fz20, cannot meter the flash... so the flash will just burst at full blast... hmm which come to a point to note... when to use diffuser when to use bounce... omni-bounce is actually a diffuser isit??
How you make ur softbox? Using A4 paper? Any guidance?

cheewooi said:
How you make ur softbox? Using A4 paper? Any guidance?

well i just make a 'box' to cover the flash...leaving a big hole in front... then i cover the front part of the box/hole with a peice of white paper... the result is a diffused lighting.... cheers

littledigitalartist said:
well i just make a 'box' to cover the flash...leaving a big hole in front... then i cover the front part of the box/hole with a peice of white paper... the result is a diffused lighting.... cheers

Innovative and resourceful!! :thumbsup: You just saved $10/- on a piece of white plastic. :thumbsup:

For me I would just use pice of tissue and a rubber band. Pretty CS, huh! :(

Zenten said:
Innovative and resourceful!! :thumbsup: You just saved $10/- on a piece of white plastic. :thumbsup:

For me I would just use pice of tissue and a rubber band. Pretty CS, huh! :(

That's what I do as well ;)

tried the tissue method.. what tissue did you use??? mine shots were still very very bright... because my softbox, the white paper part is slightly further from the flash, the light is more diffused... can someone post the pic of the 'tissue method' ?? i'll try to post my softbox pic soon.... left it in hostel...

I uses those that wrap with flowers type. Those with alot of holes in it.. Or rather I uses bandage to diffuse it. The bandage type I used is those look alike with tissue.

littledigitalartist - I did a little shoot earlier on. I show you what I used for different 'diffuser' I used.

All shot at my stuff are at

Focal Lenght: 6mm
F- Number: F/2.8
Exposure Time: 1/640 sec
ISO Speed: ISO-80
Exposure Program: Manual

With Tripod.

1. With Ext Flash without my 'paper' involved.
1.jpg

3.jpg

2. With Ext Flash with the Flower wrapper. (Below is the look of the wrapper)
5.jpg

7.jpg

3. With another Wrapper but bigger hole in it.
9.jpg

11.jpg

4. Bandage method (Single Layer)
13.jpg

15.jpg

No problem viewing the pictures.

Good, simple, effective, low cost. Most importantly, could be constructed anywhere as long as there is rubber band and tissue. Thanks for sharing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hmmmm me too... no links at all.. think jos forgot to link them... must have typed the msg first intending to link... then forgot...

Status
Not open for further replies.