using body AF instead of lens AF

jeromehjh

Jul 25, 2011
hi guys i just upgraded from a d3100 to d7k. my lens all has BIM because of my d3100. was wondering if there is anyway to make my d7k use its own built in motor instead of the lens AF?

Congratulations on your upgrade.

By saying your lenses are those with built-in-motor, it means that your lenses are AF-S lenses. Being AF-S lenses, the Nikon D7000 DSLR will operate the lens as AF-S lenses (i.e. camera will do the focusing using the lenses' built-in-motor).

i see. yup i use a tamron and its AF is definitely inferior to nikon AF-S lenses, that is why i was hoping i could use the camera's motor instead. Thanks anyway :)

yup im looking to do that, but the non-bim version is really hard to find, heard it is discontinued

jeromehjh said:
yup im looking to do that, but the non-bim version is really hard to find, heard it is discontinued

It was discontinued years ago. They only have the BIM version.

hi guys i just upgraded from a d3100 to d7k. my lens all has BIM because of my d3100. was wondering if there is anyway to make my d7k use its own built in motor instead of the lens AF?

If you buy a lens with a built-in motor, it will not have the appropriate coupling to the camera body, so there is no way for the camera body to drive the lens' AF mechanism :)
I have yet to come across a lens with such a 'redundancy' feature built in.