Using APSC E PZ18-105 for Full Frame A7 for Video

Joshelerry

Apr 5, 2013
Singapore
Hi need to check on this potential configuration,
If I am using the Sony E mount PZ18-105 G (which is for APSC) on the A7 series for Video ...

Will I still be able to shoot in 4K quality? Any downside etc for Video works with this combi?

*For photo of course, i understand that the image will be in APSC size and resolution will reduce

Which specific model?

It's not the same across ALL the A7 series. E.g. The a7rii, you can shoot in APS-C/Super35 mode in 4K.
Downside is increased rolling shutter. Due to no pixel binning, the IQ and noise is supposed to be slightly better compared to FF but in practice I can't really tell the diff. Maybe if you setup controlled test shots and compare A with B...

On the a7sii, you can't, but there's a sorta 'workaround' using the Clear Image Zoom function, but some degradation can be expected since it's not true optical zoom.

Which specific model?

It's not the same across ALL the A7 series. E.g. The a7rii, you can shoot in APS-C/Super35 mode in 4K.
Downside is increased rolling shutter. Due to no pixel binning, the IQ and noise is supposed to be slightly better compared to FF but in practice I can't really tell the diff. Maybe if you setup controlled test shots and compare A with B...

On the a7sii, you can't, but there's a sorta 'workaround' using the Clear Image Zoom function, but some degradation can be expected since it's not true optical zoom.

I'm using A7r3 .. think that is enough in terms of pixels. I believe the new A7iii will be able to shoot 4K..
Read and check that its pretty good setup to use Super35 to shoot 4K...

Am thinking of getting PZ 18-105mm G lens .... the 28-135 PZ is great but price too high..